Skip to sub navigation Skip to main content

Council Tax rebate 2022

Due to the rising energy costs the Government recently announced a one off payment of “£150 Council Tax Rebate” for certain households to help towards the higher energy bills. More information about the rebate is available on the government website.

Please note:

This rebate will be paid to you as a separate payment into your bank account and is not included in your Council Tax bill.

If you live in a property in Bands A to D

If you are a householder living in a band A to D property on 1 April 2022 you will qualify for this rebate. Some properties are exempt from receiving the £150 payment, for example because it is a second home or unoccupied.

If you don’t know which band your property is in, you can find it on your latest Council Tax bill or use the Valuation Office website to check.

IMPORTANT: Closing dates for the £150 Council Tax Energy Rebate – Bands A to D

For those eligible residents in Band A to D properties who have not yet received their £150 Council Tax Rebate please note that paper application forms will not be accepted after 16.30 on Friday 26 August 2022 and the online application form will close on Friday 26 August 2022 at 23.59. No forms will be accepted after this date. This application scheme is now closed.

For any outstanding Energy Rebate payments we will be using the Post Office Payout Voucher Scheme. We will be sending out letters to all eligible Band A to D households in September.  The letter will have a barcode that you can use to pick up a cash payment from any Post Office branch. In the event that there is joint liability for Council Tax in your household then either party named in the letter can claim the £150 Energy Rebate. Simply take the letter with proof of identity to any Post Office branch within 3 months of the letter to claim your £150.

Do not destroy the letter as you will need it to collect your cash payment from the Post Office.

Discretionary Scheme - For residents living in properties within Bands E to H

The discretionary scheme is for residents living in properties in bands E to H and still need help.

There is some additional funding available to help households who do not qualify under the main scheme (properties in bands E to H).

  • this scheme is now closed