Skip to sub navigation Skip to main content

Discretionary Council Tax Energy Rebate Scheme –Properties in Bands E to H

The Council has been allocated funding to provide support to some additional Council Tax payers who are not eligible for a payment under the main Council Tax Energy Rebate Scheme (which was designed to cover properties in Bands A to Band D). This is called a Discretionary Scheme and it allows Council’s to design their own scheme.

Who is eligible for the £150 Energy Rebate under Ashfield District Council’s Discretionary Scheme?

  • Council Tax Reduction claimants (CTR) - Any Council Tax payer in any property in Band E to Band H who currently claims a Council Tax Reduction(CTR), will be eligible for a £150 Energy Rebate payment.
  • Band E properties only - All households who are liable for Council Tax in a Band E property will also qualify for a Council Tax Energy Rebate payment of £150. This excludes empty properties, second homes and Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO’s).
  • Bands F, G and H properties only - All households living in Bands F, G or H properties, who are currently experiencing genuine financial hardship as a result of the increasing energy costs and

Is either

(a) In receipt of Universal Credit; Housing Benefit; Income Support; Council Tax Reduction; Income-Based Jobseeker’s Allowance; Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance; Working Tax Credit or Pension Credit; or

(b) Is not on any of those benefits listed in 'a' but has a gross annual household income of

  • Less than £31,400 per year
  • And has total household capital (savings) of less than £16,000
  • Was living in the property they are applying for on 1 April 2022 and is currently living in the property being claimed for

are eligible to apply.


  • If you do not meet the above eligibility criteria you are not eligible to apply.
  • The household income and savings values above are based on the combined finances of adults in the household (excluding any dependants).
  • Failure to supply the required evidence at the same time as your application will result in it not being processed further.
  • Where an applicant is eligible for the Council Tax rebate, they must be the named person on the Council Tax Demand for 2022/23.

How do I apply?

Please complete the following declaration and application form by no later than the deadline date midnight on 31 August 2022. Applications will not be accepted after this date/time.

All CTR claimants in Bands E to H properties and households in Band E properties only:

CTR and Band E Application

All households in Bands F, G and H, not in receipt of CTR:

Bands F, G and H households Application

When will I get my payment?

All CTR claimants and households in Band E properties

  • For households on CTR and all households in Band E who currently pay their Council Tax by Direct Debit will be paid automatically as soon as possible. You do not need to take any further action.
  • For households who do not pay Council Tax by Direct Debit – we will write to you asking you to provide details of your bank account via the above declaration and online form.
  • In accordance with Government requirements, we will then need to undertake an external bank account verification before we can make the payment to your bank.
  • The bank must be a UK high street bank only. Some types of bank accounts will fail the verification process which will mean we cannot use those bank details.
  • Please carefully check the bank account details you are submitting as any errors will prevent us from completing the verification and will result in delays in making the payment to you.

All households in Bands F, G and H

  • Once you have completed and submitted the online form along with the required evidence to support your claim, we will then process the application as quickly as possible.

Please note:-

  • If you currently pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit and meet the eligibility criteria, then we hope to be able to make the payment into your account fairly quickly.
  • If you do not pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit then we will need to, in accordance with Government requirements, undertake an external bank account verification before we can make the payment to your bank. This will of course take longer.