Retail rate relief
Eligible retailers with a rateable value below £51,000 could receive a third off their rates in 2019/2020, and 100% off in 2020/2021.
The relief if automatically deducted from your rates if the business is eligible. The Government’s assessment given the impact of COVID-19 in the sectors receiving the business rates expanded retail, leisure and hospitality discount for 2020-21 is not classified as state aid.
The types of business who may be eligible include:
- shops (florists, bakers, butchers, grocers, greengrocers, jewellers, stationers, off-licences, chemists, newsagents, hardware stores, supermarkets)
- charity shops
- Post Offices
- shop / showrooms (carpet shops, double glazing, garage doors etc)
- car / caravan showrooms
- second hand car lots
- petrol filling stations
- garden centres
- art galleries (where the art is for sale)
- hair and beauty services
- shoe repairs and key cutting
- travel agents
- theatre ticket offices
- dry cleaners and laundrettes
- PC, TV, and domestic appliance repair
- funeral directors
- photo processing
- tool hire
- car hire
- restaurants, takeaways, sandwich shops and coffee shops
- pubs and bars.
For 2020/2021 only the list also includes cinemas and live music venues. In all cases the premises must be wholly used for the retail purpose.
If you believe you should be receiving this relief and it isn't shown on your rates invoice contact us by downloading the form from the related documents section and returning to us by email. You can also contact us by: