Grant funded employment schemes
Sector-based work academies
Prepare individuals who are in receipt of unemployment benefits to apply for jobs within different vocational areas. These academies are carefully designed to help employers meet their immediate and future recruitment needs by training candidates to gain the skills needed to add practical value to local businesses.
- email: Suzanne Hart, Local Employer Relations Lead - firstname.lastname@example.org
- website: Sector-Based Work Academies
Levy transfer funds for Apprenticeships
Large businesses that have an annual salary bill of over £3 Million will pay 0.5% into an apprenticeship levy. These businesses can either use the levy to recruit apprentices themselves, or they can transfer a portion of their levy to small or medium sized enterprises (SME’s). Our local college Vision West Notts College have their own apprenticeship service and also provide advice on the apprenticeship levy and transfers.
Apprenticeships - West Notts College
Employers can get £3000 payment per hire, regardless of the apprentice’s age.
- email: email@example.com
- telephone: 0800 121 8317
- website: Apprenticeships – West Notts College
High Level Apprenticeships – Enterprising Ashfield
High level apprenticeships are available for SME’s in Kirkby and Sutton-in Ashfield, and have been specially designed by industry for industry. These apprenticeships help to address the growing need for a more modernised workforce with the emphasis on digital, technical, engineering, and managerial skills. These have been developed by Nottingham Trent University to support priority sectors that are more in demand in Ashfield. This apprentice ship scheme closes on 31 March 2026.
- Healthcare and science
- Construction leadership and management
- Digital skills (particularly within engineering, manufacturing, and transport and logistics employing automation and artificial intelligence (AI) processes).
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- email: email@example.com – for Degree Level Apprenticeships
- website: Apprenticeships – Talent in Ashfield
A new government scheme that provides work placements for 16-24 year -olds. It gives young people an opportunity to get some work experience in readiness for their first job after leaving school / college. You can apply for an incentive payment of £1000 for each new trainee placement that ends on or before 31 July 2022. Trainee work placements must last at least 70 hours over 2 or more weeks. They usually last 240 hours. They can be up to 320 hours if your trainee gets benefits and you’re likely to offer them a job.
T Levels are new 2-year courses which are taken after GCSEs and are broadly equivalent in size to 3 A Levels. Launched in September 2020, these courses have been developed in collaboration with employers and education providers so that the content meets the needs of industry and prepares students for entry into skilled employment, an apprenticeship or related technical study through further or higher education.
T Levels offer students practical and knowledge based learning at a school or college and on-the-job experience through an industry placement of at least 315 hours – approximately 45 days. T Levels are being gradually rolled out. The first 3 T Levels launched in September 2020, with a further 7 introduced in September 2021. In September 2022, an additional 6 T Levels will be launched, with the remaining 7 beginning in September 2023.
- Telephone: 08000 150 600 to find out more or speak to your local school or college
- Website: GOV.UK - T Levels
University of Derby Graduates
The University of Derby have 2 graduate programmes, closing in December 2023.
- Through the University’s Derby Talent programme, businesses can bring new skills and knowledge to their organisation and get £1000 funding towards the cost of employing a University of Derby graduate on an internship for a minimum period of 8 months.
- Through the University’s Driven programme, SMEs in the D2N2 region can inject new ‘skills and expertise’ into their businesses with a part-funded 400-hour internship or a fully funded 80 hour internship.
Graduate Placements – Enterprising Ashfield
SME's in Kirkby in Ashfield and Sutton in Ashfield can access 6-week graduate placements with a grant of up to £1250, this must be matched by the business. These short placements offer SME’s an excellent way to inject some much-needed expertise into their businesses without committing to long term employment. This graduate placement scheme closes on 31 March 2026.
University of Nottingham Graduates
Recruiting sharp minds can bring fresh thinking and insights for local businesses. University of Nottingham students are highly sought after by some of the world’s top companies, innovative start-ups, and third-sector organisations. Grants and project schemes are available to assist SMEs with working with local talent.