Skip to sub navigation Skip to main content

Post Brexit support

Full customs controls came into effect on 1 January 2022. You might be affected if you move goods between Great Britain (GB) and countries in the European Union (EU).

Importing, exporting or customs relief

If you have a specific question about importing, exporting or customs reliefs call the Customs and International Trade helpline on:

  • telephone: 0300 322 9434.

The helpline is open from 8am to 10pm Monday to Friday and from 8am to 4pm at weekends. You can also send your questions or contact HM revenues and customs by webchat.

The Export Support Service is a new helpline for UK businesses to get answers to practical questions about exporting to Europe. The service is a 'one-stop shop' and brings together UK government information, making it easier for exporters to access advice and support.

HMRC's YouTube channel

HMRC's YouTube channel has videos and recorded webinars about customs processes and what you need to do before you trade goods with the EU.

Watch the 'Rules of origin recorded webinar' on YouTube, to understand the process and what you need to do if you buy from, send or sell goods to the EU.

HRMC live webinars

Register now to see the HMRC live webinars, including: 

You can also find recordings of previous HMRC webinars on their Support for UK transition website:

HMRC resources

You can also find webinars and videos from other government departments about trading with the EU.

Get expert help lined up

We recommend you get a contract in place as soon as you can with a customs intermediary like a freight forwarder or customs broker. This is especially important if you are exporting or importing controlled goods, as you will not be able to delay your declarations.

Know how to classify your goods and how to evidence their origin

Your customs intermediary will also be able to help you ensure your goods are classified correctly. If you do not classify your goods correctly or if you do not accurately record the origin of the goods in your customs declaration, then you may be charged the wrong amount of tax or duty. If you choose not to hire an intermediary, then you will need to do this yourself.