Hucknall High Street shop front improvement grant scheme
As part of Ashfield’s allocation of the UK Shared Prosperity Fund (UKSPF), we have created a grant scheme to enable shops and businesses on Hucknall High Street (between the bus interchange and the Byron Cinema), to improve the appearance of the business premises.
Having a positive impact on the high street
The scheme will not only enhance the character, value and appeal of each individual property, but collectively will have a positive impact on the appearance of the High Street.
Grants available of up to 80% of total project costs
Aimed at making Hucknall town centre a more inviting and a vibrant place for residents and visitors to enjoy, grants will be available up to a maximum of £9600 (excluding VAT), a contribution of up to 80% of total project costs.
For example, to obtain the maximum grant of £9600 applicants will need to spend at least £2400 (excluding VAT). Maximum eligible total expenditure for the 80% grant would be £12,000. Any spend above this value must be borne by the applicant.
What could be funded under the grant scheme?
The activities the scheme could fund include:
- Reinstatement of traditionally style shop front
- Repairs to stonework/render/brickwork as part of wider shop front work
- Restoration/repair/repainting of acceptable or traditional shop fronts, including upper floors (where deemed appropriate)
- Removal of unsightly sign with new and appropriate sign
- Replacement shop front, windows and doors (where appropriate)
- Double glazing as part of wider shop front works
- Appropriate lighting, for example for window a display
- Appropriate external artwork
- Installation of traditional and retractable shop blinds and canopies
- Replacement guttering and downpipes
- Internal open mesh security grilles
- Disabled access improvements that meet the requirements of the Equalities Act, as part of wider shop front work
- Professional fees, such as architects, planning applications and building regulations (please note - for planning you are required to have a pre-application discussion with our Forward Planning Team)
You must be a business or landlord with a commercial ground floor, street-facing property that is located in the area shown on the map.
What we can fund
We can fund occupied or unoccupied premises, and businesses must be independent, or part of a chain with 5 or fewer UK locations.
You can read and download the grant information and design guidance document for the shop front grant scheme. All works must adhere to the recommendations and principles set out in the guidance:
- Hucknall High Street shop front improvement grant scheme - Information and design guidance [DOCX 22Mb]
How to apply
You can only apply online for the Shop front improvement scheme funding using this form:
Frequently asked questions
Frequently asked questions about the grant scheme are available:
The Forward Planning Team can provide advice on:
- telephone: 01623 457383.