The Government announced in the Autumn Budget 2018 that eligible retailers with a rateable value below 51,000 will receive a one third discount on their Business Rates bills for 2019/20. Following a Ministerial Statement on 27 January 2020 this is to be increased to 50% for 2020/21 only.
The following business types would usually qualify:
- Shops (florists, bakers, butchers, grocers, greengrocers, jewellers, stationers, off-licences, chemists, newsagents, hardware stores, supermarkets etc)
- Charity Shops
- Post Offices
- Shop / showrooms (carpet shops, double glazing, garage doors etc)
- Car / caravan showrooms
- Second hand car lots
- Petrol filling stations
- Garden centres
- Art Galleries (where the art is for sale)
- Hair & Beauty Services
- Shoe Repairs / Key Cutting
- Travel Agents
- Theatre ticket offices
- Dry Cleaners / Laundrettes
- PC / TV / Domestic Appliance Repair
- Funeral Directors
- Photo Processing
- Tool Hire
- Car Hire
- Restaurants / Takeaways / Sandwich Shops / Coffee Shops
- Pubs / Bars
To qualify, the premises must be used wholly or mainly for one of the above mentioned purposes.
For 2020/21 only this list has been expanded to include cinemas and live music venues. The same rateable value limits and State Aid rules apply.
Any award will be subject to State Aid rules. If you believe that you will receive, or already have received, in excess of €200,000 in State Aid over a rolling three year period including 2019/20 and/or 2020/21 you should notify this Authority accordingly.
For Further information on State Aid click here
The list below sets out the types of businesses that the Government does not consider to be “Retail” for the purposes of this relief:
- Financial Services (banks, building societies, cashpoints, bureaux de change, payday lenders, betting shops, pawn brokers etc)
- Other Services (estate agents, letting agents, employment agencies etc)
- Medical Services (vets, dentists, doctors, osteopaths, chiropractors etc)
- Professional services (solicitors, accountants, insurance agents, financial advisors, tutors etc)
- Post Office Sorting Offices
- Any business that is not reasonably accessible to members of the visiting public
Generally speaking, the Government does not consider other assembly or leisure uses not specifically listed to be “Retail” for the purposes of this discount.
If you believe you should benefit from this relief and it is not showing on your bill please contact the Business Rates Team on 01623 457200 / email@example.com.