HACKNEY CARRIAGE & PRIVATE HIRE LICENSING POLICY
Ashfield District Council has adopted a Hackney Carriage & Private Hire Licensing Policy. The aim of the Policy is to promote a professional and respected licensed Trade by way of standards, criteria, and conditions attached to licences. The Policy also sets out how the Licensing Authority will carry out it's Hackney Carriage & Private Hire Licensing function.
On 22nd February 2018 the Licensing Committee of Ashfield District Council approved (subject to consultation with the Trade) five proposals to modernise the Hackney Carriage & Private Hire Licensing Policy, and to promote “Best Practice” across the licensed Trade, assist the Trade increase profitability, embrace the changes in legislation that allow Hackney Carriages and Private Hire Vehicles to work outside of the District with whom they are licensed, and to seek to reduce some of the financial burdens the Trade face when carrying out its business.
The consultation regarding the proposed changes to the Policy closed on 15th April 2018, and following consideration of the responses received, all of the proposals (save for the requirement for drivers to keep their own records of pre-booked journeys undertaken) have now been adopted, and took effect from 1st May 2018.
The Hackney Carriage & Private Hire Licensing Policy has been amended accordingly, and can be viewed here.
The changes to the Policy are detailed below:
- Implementation of a complete set of new conditions to be attached to the grant of a Hackney Carriage & Private Hire (Dual) Driver Licence.
- Amendments to the Vehicle Age Limits in place in relation to Hackney Carriage and Private Hire vehicles: namely to increase the permitted age limit for any new licence to be for a vehicle under 5 years of age, any replacement vehicle to be under 5 years of age, and that no vehicle licence will be renewed should a vehicle be of 12 years of age or more.
- Implementation of new conditions, and amendments to existing conditions to be attached to the grant of a Hackney Carriage Vehicle and / or Private Hire Vehicle Licence.
- Implementation of new conditions, and amendments to existing conditions to be attached to the grant of a Private Hire Operator Licence.
- The waiver of the £30.00 annual fee payable by a Private Hire Operator for a Hackney Carriage or Private Hire vehicle in his / her employ, should such a vehicle be deemed to be a “low emission” vehicle (i.e. if manufactured prior to 1st April 2017 that the vehicle falls within Vehicle Excise Duty Bands A – C, or if manufactured from 1st April 2017 emits between 0 – 75 g/km CO2 emissions as stated on the Vehicle Log Book).
The application packs for Drivers, Vehicle Proprietors and Private Hire Operators have been updated accordingly to assist you.