Sex Shops, Sex Cinemas & Sexual Entertainment Venues

Sex Establishment Licence

A Sex Establishment Licence is granted for a premises that is deemed to be a Sex Shop, Sex Cinema, or a Sexual Entertainment Venue.

A Sex Establishment is required to be licensed under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982.  When considering an application for a Sex Establishment the Council may only assess the following:

1. The suitability of the applicant.
2. The location and suitability for the premises e.g. proximity to schools, churches, nurseries, bus stops, other businesses, residential properties, etc.

A fee is chargeable for a Sex Establishment Licence (see fees).

Any Sex Establishment Licence that is granted, will be attached with what are known as Model Conditions applicable to Sex Establishments, as well as any necessary and proportionate conditions applicable to the specific premises to which the licence is granted.

For further information and a preliminary discussion to ascertain whether an application is required please contact The Licensing Section on 01623 457589,  alternatively you can e-mail us at Click here to download a Sex Establishment Licence Application Form.


Online Application

Will Tacit Consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from Ashfield District Council within a reasonable period, please contact the Licensing Section on 01623 457589,  alternatively you can e-mail us at

Apply for a licence for a sex establishment

Tell us about a change to your existing sex establishment licence

Consumer Complaint

Licence holders may at any time apply to the authority for a variation of the terms, conditions or restrictions in their licence.

If an application for a variation is refused, or if the licence is revoked, the licence holder may, within 21 days of being notified of the imposition of, or the refusal to vary, the term, condition or restriction in question, or of the revocation, appeal to the local magistrates' court.

A licence holder may also appeal to the crown court against a decision of a magistrates' court.