Skip to sub navigation Skip to main content

Selective licensing

Selective licensing can be applied to areas where there is low housing demand or significant anti-social behaviour problems. We have applied selective licensing to Stanton Hill and Sutton. 

This means private landlords with property in Sutton or Stanton Hill must apply for a licence before letting to tenants. The licence means we'll work collaboratively and informally with landlords to make sure outstanding repairs are made and properties are up to standard. It means the formal enforcement route is taken less often. 

The licence contains conditions the landlord must meet. Breaching the licence, or failing to apply for a licence, are criminal offences which could lead to prosecution and an unlimited fine. 

How selective licensing works

How are selective licensing areas decided?

Selective licensing areas are set up following consultation with landlords, tenants and residents' associations.

How long does a selective licence last?

A licence lasts for up to 5 years from the date the selective licensing area is appointed.

Is a selective licence transferable to another property?

No, a selective licence is non-transferable.

What happens in other local authority areas?

Each local authority is responsible for determining and issuing licences for selective licensing areas in their jurisdiction. If you have properties in more than one local authority area, you will need to apply to the relevant authority the property is in.

Are there any exemptions to selective licensing?

Yes, the following are exempt:

  • Local Housing Authorities or Registered Social Landlords (Housing Associations) tenancies
  • holiday lets
  • where a family member rents the property from you (proof required)
  • long lease tenancies (21 years)
  • business tenancies
  • properties where we have taken action to close the property down
  • licensable HMO's (Houses in Multiple Occupation) under part 2 of the housing act 2004
  • where temporary exemption notices are in force.

What happens if the landlord decides to sell a property or wants to occupy it himself?

We can issue a temporary exemption notice for up to three months if we are satisfied that you are taking reasonable steps to ensure that the property no longer requires a licence.

Can you refuse to license a property?

Yes, if the property does not meet the conditions. There is more information in the guidance for landlords  and licensing conditions in the related documents section of this web page. 

What happens if a landlord fails to comply with the scheme?

It is an offence to let a property within a designated selective licensing area without a licence. You could be fined up to £20,000. You can also be fined up to £5,000 for every breach of the conditions of your licence. If we're unable to grant you a licence, or have to revoke a licence, we have powers to take over the management of your property.

Does the landlord have any rights of appeal against council decisions?

Yes, you can appeal to the Residential Property Tribunal within 28 days if you disagree with any of our decisions.

Apply for a licence

All private landlords with property in the area covered by the selective licence must apply. You can download the form from the related documents section and then return it to us with supporting documentation. 

There is a fee of a maximum of £350 for each property you own in an area covered by a selective licence. Accredited landlords at the time of application can get a discount of £100. You may be able to split the cost of your licences across 12 months, or more for landlords with more than 10 properties in the area. 

You will need a valid Gas Safety Certificate to make your application. You will need to supply a renewed certificate for each year your licence covers, this will be due on the renewal date on the original Gas Safety Certificate and not on the date of your selective licence application. 

All licences will expire on 31 January 2022. Some licences may be granted for a shorter period.

Other ways to apply for a licence

You get in touch with us for information or to apply for a selective licence by: 

Private Sector Enforcement
Ashfield District Council
Urban Road
Kirkby in Ashfield
NG17 8DA.