If you are flying your drone for personal use:
- Your drone must weigh under 20kg
- You can’t fly above 400 feet in altitude or 500 metres from you horizontally
- Ensure your drone is always in sight
- Always keep away from aircraft, helicopters, airports and airfields
- Use your common sense and fly your aircraft safely
If your drone is fitted with a camera there are additional regulations:
- You must not fly within 50 metres of people, vehicles, buildings or vessels
- Your drone must not be flown within 150 metres of a congested area or any large group of people such as a concert or sporting event as you may be prosecuted.
- If you intend to record in an area where people are, you must inform them before you start.
If you intend to use the drone for commercial purposes you must have permission from the CAA and comply with additional laws governing their use.
To get guidance on operating permissions for drones see the CAA’s website for the latest information and regulations regarding drone use.