We want everyone to feel safe at home, at work or school/college and on the streets of Ashfield. Only by recording incidents can we build up a complete picture of hate incidents in the area and do something to stop it. If you or someone you know has been the victim of a hate incident, we want to know about it.
The person making the report does not have to be the victim. Anyone who is made aware of the incident can report it.
We encourage all victims of Hate Crime to report this by ringing 101 and speaking to Nottinghamshire Police about the incident. They should then arrange for an officer to come and visit you at a time and place you feel most comfortable.
- Tell them why you think it is a hate crime.
- Get the name and number of the officer you speak to. This will be useful if you need to contact him or her again. Also make sure you take a note of your crime number.
- Use diary sheets that can be given to you by the officer in your case to keep a record of any incidents that have affected you. This will help you to remember details accurately if you need to make a statement later.
- Don't touch anything the offender might have been in contact with or that may have blood or saliva on it. This can include clothes, weapons, letters, and leaflets. We may be able to use these to identify the offender.
- Ask the officer in your case for photographs to be taken of anything that shows what happened, or take photographs yourself. For example, of damage to your property or vehicle, graffiti etc. Photographs could later be used as evidence.
- If there are any witnesses get their names and contact details (address and telephone number). Ask them to write down what they saw or heard and sign it.
- If you're injured make sure you see a doctor or visit a hospital and get any visible injuries are photographed. Show these to us.
- Keep a record of any expenses you incur, for example public transport fares to hospital, loss
You can also report this to Ashfield District Council by phoning 01623 457345 or emailing a full list of details to email@example.com. We will also encourage you to report this to the Police and we will support you in this process. We will then work with our partners to ensure the incidents of the nature are minimalised.