Home Page

Advice for Tenants

When you report a repair you will be asked if you or anyone in your household have any symptoms of Coronavirus or are self-isolating before the repair is booked.

If you do have symptoms or are self-isolating our repairs team may ask that your repair is scheduled for a time when you and your household are able to receive visitors again. If you or your household are unwell or self-isolating and you have a repair which must be dealt with as an emergency (such as an issue with gas, electric or a leak) we will endeavour to visit your property promptly. For everybody’s safety we would ask that you stay away from the area to be worked on and keep a safe distance away from the operative when they arrive. Once in your home our repairs team member will be wearing disposable overalls, face mask, gloves and will wipe down all surfaces in the area where the repair is to be carried out, and the same when leaving.

You only need to let us know you are self-isolating if you have or are trying to book a repairs or housing officer visit.

If you receive an unplanned visit from one of our team, they will ask if you are self-isolating or have symptoms of Coronavirus – please make sure you let our team know before they enter your home.

The situation is changing daily and below is our current position. We would ask that you consider only contacting us for repairs and/or appointment if it is strictly necessary; this is so we can concentrate our efforts on the most vulnerable of tenants and emergency situations. Please check daily for our service position update.



During the Coronavirus pandemic, we will only be carrying out the following list of emergency and urgent housing repairs whilst following and respecting national guidelines on the virus. Our phone operatives will guide you through the procedure.

  • Total or partial loss of gas supply
  • Total loss of water
  • Total loss of heating up to 30th April
  • Blocked flue or chimney to heating appliance
  • Partial loss of heating up to 30th April, where it can be shown to be urgently required e.g. by older people, disabled people, vulnerable people or infants
  • Blocked or leaking drain or sewer (please note these may be referred to the Water Company in the first instance)
  • Blocked toilet – but only if there is no other working toilet for your home
  • Tap which cannot be turned off
  • Severe leaking water or heating pipe, tank, cistern or toilet
  • Make safe insecure window, external door or external locks. Lost keys are the responsibility of the tenant, except for the elderly or the vulnerable, where new keys or locks may be provided
  • Rotten timber flooring or stair tread causing potential health and safety hazard
  • Faulty staircase and corridor lighting in blocks of flats or sheltered accommodation for older people
  • Dangerous structures such as loose cast iron rainwater gutters, unsafe chimney stacks or roofs
  • Dangerous electrical wiring, sockets or switches
  • Loose or detached banister or handrail for stairs
  • Repairs causing serious danger to the security of the home
  • Partial loss of lighting for the elderly or vulnerable tenants

We are still carrying out gas safety checks and fire alarm tests as normal.

If you have a repair that is listed above then call Ashfield District Council’s repair line on 01623 457999.



This service will continue as normal, prioritising those who are rough sleeping and those who are at imminent risk of losing their home.

Follow the instructions on www.amhomefinder.co.uk to complete an online triage form if you are homeless or threatened with homelessness or call 01623 450000 to talk to the team.



At present we have put the letting process on hold.

Applications from those seeking Council and Housing Association accommodation can still be made via the website www.amhomefinder.co.uk.

Any queries please contact 01623 608888.


Rents and Money Advice

Although the offices are now closed to the public, our officers will still be on-hand to provide advice and support over the phone on 01623 608888 or by email on income@ashfield.gov.uk or tenancy@ashfield.gov.uk.

Why not log into our Tenant Portal. From this you can manage your Tenancy online. The Tenant Portal provides self-service for Ashfield District Council tenants, with instant online access to information about your tenancy.


Other useful links