Home Page

Are you eligible for assistance?

Most people are eligible for assistance.  However, some people from abroad are not eligible.  You are probably not eligible for assistance if:

  • you are an asylum seeker.  Most asylum seekers get temporary housing arranged by the UK Border Agency, a part of the Home Office;
  • you are from abroad and have limited rights to remain in the UK, or you have stayed longer than the time you were allowed;
  • you are from abroad and you are not entitled to claim ‘public funds’;
  • you are in the UK illegally (the council can investigate your immigration status and inform the Home Office if it thinks you came to the UK illegally).

If you are unsure of your immigration status, you may need to get help from an immigration adviser.

Useful links