Known worldwide as the burial place of the poet Lord Byron, the church overlooks the market place in Hucknall. A church has stood on this site from Saxon times, with foundations found under the nave in the 1930s. The tower was constructed in stages between the 12th and 14th Century with the porch being built in 1320. The remainder of the building is the result of extensive renovation, which began in 1872.
The church possesses the largest collection of stained glass windows by the artist C. E. Kemp, the most revered of Victorian Stained Glass Window artists, as well as some rare wall paintings. Within the church yard is a memorial garden to Byron. Ben Caunt, the Victorian Prize Fighter, is also buried here; it is believed that the Westminster bell ‘Big Ben’ is named after him.