£1.5 million boost for Kirkby and Sutton town centres
Ashfield District Council have received confirmation that we have secured £1.5m from the accelerated Towns Fund.
The funding is split equally between Kirkby and Sutton and has to be spent by the end of March 2021.
The Council and Discover Ashfield board have been working with partners to develop a wide range of projects which will be funded by the accelerated Towns Fund, including:
- Cycle and walking route improvements across Kirkby to connect employment areas, the town centre and residential areas.
- Kirkby high street - re-use of vacant retail units to create a small-scale indoor market with opportunities for start-up businesses and conversion of the upper floor for new apartments.
- Commercial property purchase in Kirkby and Sutton for future conversion for residential and commercial use.
- Additional funding for a planned new play area at Sorrel Drive in Kirkby.
- A contribution to the £1.4m development at Portland College, Sutton for a sports and cultural facility.
Sutton Councillor, Cllr Samantha Deakin, has welcomed the funding. She said:
“This first stage of funding is a fantastic step forward with our plans for Kirkby and Sutton, which we have been working tirelessly over. This is great news for Sutton in particular, we will be able to make a real difference with this funding. I want to thank all the Council Officers, Council Members, the Discover Ashfield board and our partners for all their hard work and dedication over the past year.’’
Cllr Matthew Relf, Portfolio Holder for Place, Planning and Regeneration commented:
“We are working closely with residents and our partners to develop plans for the main Towns Fund submission for up to £50m, which will be made in January next year. We are developing a wide range of exciting projects to bring much needed jobs and new attractions to the District.”
Martin Rigley, Chair of the Discover Ashfield Board, said
“We are so pleased to receive this funding. The Discover Ashfield board have been working with the Council and partners to ensure that this money will be spent where it is most needed. Discover Ashfield is about promoting Ashfield in the most positive way, pushing for investment and celebrating our heritage and all that is great about living, working and visiting Ashfield. This funding will start to make our plans a reality.”