Skip to sub navigation Skip to main content

Report Japanese Knotweed

Japanese knotweed (Fallopia japonica) is a weed that spreads rapidly. In winter the plant dies back to ground level but by early summer the bamboo-like stems emerge from rhizomes deep underground to shoot to over 2.1m (7ft), suppressing all other plant growth. Eradication requires determination as it is very hard to remove by hand or eradicate with chemicals. New legislation now covers its control.

What is Japanese Knotweed?

Japanese knotweed is a fast-growing and strong clump-forming perennial, with tall, dense annual stems. Stem growth is renewed each year from the stout, deeply-penetrating rhizomes (creeping underground stems).


In spring, reddish-purple fleshy shoots  emerge from crimson-pink buds at ground level. These grow rapidly, producing in summer, dense stands of tall bamboo-like canes which grow to 2.1m (7ft) tall. These canes have characteristic purple flecks, and produce branches from nodes along its length.

Leaves are heart or shovel-shaped and up to 14cm (5½in) in length and borne alternately (in a zig zag pattern) along the stems. The stems die back to ground level in winter, but the dry canes remain for several months or longer.

The creamy-white flower tassels produced in late summer and early autumn reach up to 15cm (6in).

More information can be found on the RHS website.  

Under section 14 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, it can be an offence to plant or grow Japanese Knotweed. However; there is no statutory requirement for landowners to remove these plants from their property once established naturally.

Report Japanese Knotweed

Who you report Japanese Knotweed to depends where it is growing. 

If the land is privately owned then the responsibility for the control of this weed rests with the landowner or tenant of the land. Neither we or the Environment Agency are obliged to control this weed on behalf of private landowners. Disputes between private landowners concerning the control of this weed are a civil matter.

Complaints concerning Japanese Knotweed growing on roadside grass verges within Ashfield or on land we own should be reported to us.

Report Japanese Knotweed

Japanese Knotweed growing on verges of large main roads (trunk roads) or motorways in the district, control and eradication is the responsibility of the Highways Agency and not to us. 

Other ways to contact us about Japanese Knotweed

If you can't make a report online or need to contact us about Japanese Knotweed you can do so by: