Ashfield Draft Local Plan Consultation (Regulation 18)
Interested in how future development may affect your area? This is your opportunity to get involved and respond to the draft Local Plan consultation.
Why do we want to consult?
The Local Plan is where the big decisions on planning for the future of our communities and the district will be made. It responds to the challenges we all face around population growth, and climate change. It sets out where new homes and employment units will be built, where new community facilities and infrastructure will be needed - including schools and doctors’ surgeries. It identifies what areas should be protected for their environmental and other benefits.
A significant amount of engagement has already taken place during the evidence gathering stages of Plan preparation. This includes discussions with site owners, liaison with agents, developers, the highway authority, service providers, other local councils, and responding to queries from members of the public or local organisations.
The Draft Local Plan consultation represents an opportunity for everyone in Ashfield and beyond to think about how the places people live, work, learn and visit should develop over the period to 2038. We would like to know whether you agree with the land use policies and proposals for accommodating new development in the Ashfield District Council area.
The Plan is informed by a Sustainability Appraisal Report (SA). The SA helps to inform decisions by assessing the likely positive and negative impacts of options across a wide range of topics.
How long will the Consultation run for?
The consultation will run from 9am on 4 October 2021 to 5pm on 16 November 2021.
Where can I find information on the emerging Local Plan?
Information on the Local Plan can be accessed in the following ways
- Electronic copies of the Draft Local Plan, the Sustainability Appraisal and the supporting evidence base, including background papers are available here:
- Draft Local Plan
- Sustainability Appraisal
- The draft Local Plan, draft Local Plan Executive Summary, Policy Maps, Background Papers, Sustainable Appraisal and other supporting documents
- Ashfield Draft Local Plan Policies map - Interactive map
- Ashfield Draft Local Plan Policies map - North - PDF version of the local plan map
- Ashfield Draft Local Plan Policies map - South - PDF version of the local plan map
- Paper copies of the draft Local Plan and its Policies Map can be viewed at all libraries open during the consultation period and the Council Offices at Kirkby-in-Ashfield
- During the consultation, Forward Planning officers are available to contact Monday – Friday 8.30am – 5pm (4.30pm on Fridays):
- telephone: 01623 457302
- Online meeting: A meeting through Zoom or Microsoft Teams can be arranged through Forward Planning officers.
Unstaffed exhibitions will be located within Sutton, Hucknall, and Selston libraries, and the Council Offices in Kirkby in Ashfield:
- Hucknall Library, South Street, Hucknall, NG15 7BS. Open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday - 9am to 6.00pm , Wednesday - 9am to 12pm, Saturday - 9am to 4pm
- Sutton in Ashfield Library, Idlewells Shopping Centre, Sutton-in-Ashfield, NG17 1BP. Open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday - 9am to 5.30pm , Wednesday - 9am to 6pm, Saturday - 9am to 3pm
- Selston Community Partnership Library, The Tin Hat Centre, Matthew Holland Complex, Capel Road, Selston, NG16 6BW. Open Monday and Tuesday - 10am to 12pm, Wednesday - 12.30pm to 2.30pm, Friday - 10am - 12pm
- Kirkby-in-Ashfield Council Offices, Urban Road, Kirkby-in-Ashfield, NG17 8DA. Open Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday - 8.30am to 5pm , Wednesday - 9.30am to 5pm, Friday - 8.30am to 4.30pm.
Appointments with officers
In response to the Covid Pandemic, the Council has introduced an appointment system for residents/businesses to discuss any aspect on the Local Plan with officers.
Forward Planning Officers will be available for 20 minute sessions with up to two people at the following venues and times:
Hucknall Library, South Street, Hucknall, NG15 7BS
- Monday 18 October - Available at 20 minute periods from 9am to 5pm
- Thursday 28 October - Available at 20 minute periods from 9am to 5pm
- Monday 1 November - Available at 20 minute periods from 9am to 5pm.
Council Offices, Urban Road, Kirkby-in-Ashfield, NG17, 8DA
- Monday 11 October - Available at 20 minute periods from 9am to 6.40pm
- Wednesday 27 October - Available at 20 minute periods from 9am to 6.40pm
- Monday 8 November - Available at 20 minute periods from 9am to 6.40pm.
Selston Parish Council, Old Council Offices, Alfreton Road, Selston, NG16 6DJ.
- Tuesday 12 October - Available at 20 minute periods from 9am to 5.20pm
Selston Parish Council, Parish Hall (Eleanor Adams room), Mansfield Road, Selston, NG16 6EE
- Monday 25 October - Available at 20 minute periods from 9am to 5.20pm
- Thursday 11 November - Available at 20 minute periods from 9am to 5pm.
Sutton Library, Idlewells Shopping Centre, Sutton-in-Ashfield, NG17 1BP
- Wednesday 6 October - Available at 20 minute periods from 9am to 5pm
- Tuesday 19 October - Available at 20 minute periods from 9am to 4.40pm
- Wednesday 3 November - Available at 20 minute periods from 9am to 5pm.
To book an appointment:
- telephone: 01623 457302
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
When booking please tell us which location, date and time you would like to book an appointment for, and supply a telephone number where you may be contacted. We will do our best to accommodate your requirements.
How do I respond to the Consultation?
The easiest and most efficient way to view the Draft Local Plan and submit any comments you have on the policies and proposals is via the online form.
If you support or object to elements of the draft Local Plan, please submit your comments and evidence setting out your reasons why the policy and/or site proposed should be taken forward or needs to be amended. It is helpful in making a response to outline why your proposed alternative is better for Ashfield and what evidence is this based on.
It is important for us to understand which approach, policy(s) or site(s) you are supporting or objecting to. If possible, please use the on-line Comment Form. Alternatively, the consultation form can be downloaded and printed from the related documents section or copies are available from Hucknall or Sutton libraries, or the Council’s Offices at Kirkby-in-Ashfield.
Comments on the Draft Local Plan can be submitted by:
- email: Forward Planning at email@example.com
- post: Complete and return the Consultation response form or your letter of representations by post or by hand to the Council at Local Plans, Place and Communities, Ashfield District Council, Urban Road, Kirkby-in-Ashfield, Nottingham, NG17 8DA.
Comments must be received no later than 5pm on Tuesday 16 November 2021.
All responses submitted as part of the consultation will be considered and analysed to inform the next stage and ultimately the Local Plan to be submitted to the Secretary of State for examination. It is stressed that the analysis of the consultation responses is primarily a qualitative rather than a quantitative approach. The Council will give the same weight to an issue whether it appears in hundreds of responses or in just one. Therefore, it is important comments should be supported by evidence in making a response.
It is not possible to send a response to individual submissions. The Council will set out a report (statement of consultation) which will provide a summary of who responded to the consultation and a summary of the views expressed and how they have been considered by the Council. The report will be published on the Council’s website prior to the next round of consultation, which is anticipated to be in March/April 2022.
Will my comments be made public? Are there instances when comments may not be accepted by the Council?
Your comments may be made available for the public to read in council offices and online as part of the Local Plan preparation process. Please note that we cannot accept anonymous comments or comments marked ‘private’ or ‘confidential’.
The Council will not accept comments which may reasonably be considered offensive, racist, discriminatory or threatening. Any such submissions may be reported to relevant authorities and/or will be destroyed.
If you have any queries regarding the draft Local Plan consultation, please contact Forward Planning Officers by:
- telephone – 01623 457302
- email - firstname.lastname@example.org