Skip to sub navigation Skip to main content

Personal licence

If you supervise the sale of alcohol you will need a Personal Licence. You should apply to the council covering the area where you live.

The licence you receive will cover you across the country and is not linked to premises. This is under the Licensing Act 2003.

To hold a personal licence a person must: 

  • be over 18-years-old
  • hold an accredited Personal Licensing Qualification
  • have a recent DBS check (within 1 month of application)
  • have results from a subject access search through the Police National Computer (within 1 month of application)
  • able to provide a declaration about convictions of relevant offences, or foreign offences
  • legally able to work in the UK. 

Before applying

Criminality checks

You will need to have a DBS check and results from a subject access search, both of which have been carried out within 1 month of your application. 

Apply for a DBS check

You can apply for a subject access search through the police once you have a DBS check.

Licensing qualification

Before you apply for your personal licence you will need to hold a licensing qualification. There are a number of private providers of courses - we have listed some who have provided training to license holders in the local area, in the links section of this web page. 

Apply for a personal licence

Once you have carried out the pre-application activities you will need to download the application form from this page and return it with the following supporting documents:

  • The completed Disclosure of convictions declaration form 
  • 2 passport photographs (one of which must be endorsed by a professional person)
  • proof of your licensing qualification (original not a photocopy)
  • results of your DBS and criminality check (original Basic DBS Disclosure)
  • the correct payment (£37). 

You can return your completed application by post to: 

Licensing Team
Ashfield District Council
Council Offices
Urban Road
Kirkby in Ashfield
NG17 8DA

How much does it cost?

A personal licence costs £37 and has no expiry date. 

You can pay by debit or credit card through our online system. 

Personal licence

Change of details or address

If you need to change the address on your licence or other details let us know by completing an application form showing the changes. You'll also need to return your current licence to us - both the paper and photo card parts. 

A new licence costs £10.50 and you can pay this through our online payment system using a debit or credit card. 

Lost or stolen licences

You should report a lost or stolen licence to us as soon as possible. If it was stolen we will ask you to provide the crime reference number from the police or if lost for details of when and where you lost it. 

A replacement licence is £10.50 and you can pay this through our online payment system using a debit or credit card. 

Other ways to contact us about a personal licence

If you have questions about the licence or applying you can contact us by: