Skip to sub navigation Skip to main content

Dangerous, exotic or wild animals

If you keep a dangerous wild animal at home you will need a licence. This is under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976. 

You should read the full legislation before you apply to us for your licence. You can find the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 on the government's Legislation website. 

Apply for a licence

You will need to contact us to get an application form. 

When completed you'll need to return it to us with a copy of your Public Liability Insurance. You will also need to make sure you have paid for your licence. 

Completed applications should be sent by email or by post to: 

Licensing Team
Ashfield District Council
Council Offices
Urban Road
NG17 8DA.

How much does it cost?

This licence costs £945. It is the same cost whether it is a new licence or a renewal.

You can pay by debit or credit card through our online system. 

Pay for a licence

If you need a copy of an existing licence this costs £5 and can be paid for through our online system. 

Other ways to contact us about licences

If you have questions about the licence or need an application form you can contact us by: