Skip to sub navigation Skip to main content

Anti-social behaviour caused by council tenants

Anti-social behaviour is a serious breach of the tenancy agreement that all tenants sign when they move into one of our homes.

We expect our tenants, and their visitors and guests, to show consideration to their neighbours and not to cause nuisance. We also expect our tenants to be reasonably tolerant and understanding towards the lifestyles and needs of others. Our tenancy agreement sets out our expectations. 

Unfortunately, there will be times when behaviour is not acceptable or toleration is not being shown, and tenants who commit anti-social behaviour could put their tenancy at risk.  

Resolving problems with neighbours

If you are experiencing anti-social behaviour from a council tenant, where it is safe to do so, we encourage you to approach the tenant(s) involved to explain how their actions are affecting you, and to ask if they could change their behaviour. Sometimes, other people may not be aware that their behaviour is causing distress or nuisance and letting them know may help remedy the situation.

We know this is not always possible so, if your attempts to resolve the issues are unsuccessful and the problems persist, or if you are unable to approach the alleged perpetrator then you can report the anti-social behaviour to us in the following ways:

  • Using our complaint form
  • By telephone: 01623 450000 option 1 option 3 (Tenancy Services)
  • By email:
  • In person at:

Council Offices
Urban Road
Kirkby in Ashfield
NG17 8DA

  • In writing to:

Housing Management Department
Council Offices
Urban Road
Kirkby in Ashfield
NG17 8DA

If you are reporting anti-social behaviour from a non-council property, you should contact the Community Safety Team, using the online form. Further details about the work of the Community Safety Team can be found on their pages on this website.

Our service standards

We are committed to responding promptly and effectively to anti-social behaviour by making use of legal powers where appropriate.

There are some types of anti-social behaviour that we consider to be ‘high level’ and serious in nature. If we receive these types of reports, the case will be referred straight through to our Community Safety Team for action. The Community Safety Team will respond to the complainant within 24 hours (or the next working day if the report is received on a non-working day).

Reports received that do not fall within the category of ‘high level/serious’ anti-social behaviour will be responded to within 5 working days and will be managed by the Tenancy Services Team, within the Housing and Asset Directorate. If after the initial investigation and first warning the anti-social behaviour continues, we will refer the case to our Community Safety Team for further investigation and action.

These lists give examples of what we consider to be ‘high level/serious’ and ‘low level anti-social behaviour:

High level/serious anti-social behaviour

  • Crime and criminal behaviour
  • Hate crime
  • Physical violence
  • Prostitution
  • Drug dealing and drug taking
  • Harassment, intimidation and threatening behaviour
  • Domestic noise
  • Violence and threats towards staff
  • Domestic abuse

Low level anti-social behaviour

  • Fly tipping
  • Alcohol related nuisance
  • Damage to property
  • Misuse of public/communal areas
  • General noise nuisance
  • Vandalism
  • Nuisance from vehicles

What we expect when you report anti-social behaviour

In order to effectively investigate anti-social behaviour, we will ask that you:

  • Provide information to support our investigations
  • Firstly attempt to speak with the alleged perpetrator to resolve the issue (we will only ask this in cases that are low level and assessed as low risk)
  • Report allegations to relevant statutory organisations; for example if the allegation is of a criminal nature, we will ask that you report it to the Police first
  • Support any action recommended and/or proposed by us.

How we will manage your anti-social behaviour complaint

We will:

  • Agree an action plan with you to resolve the problem and confirm this in writing to you
  • Make sure our teams are highly trained and professional, when dealing with your complaint
  • Give you the name and contact number of the officer who will work with you until the issue is resolved
  • Work with you to identify any risks or support needs you have, and talk about how best to respond to them
  • Carry out a thorough and fair investigation
  • Be open and honest with you and focus on what we ‘can do’
  • Keep you informed so that you don’t have to chase us. We will contact you in the way you asked us to, at least every 10 working days
  • Consider a range of civil and legal actions that can be taken against the perpetrators
  • Work with the police and other agencies so that we can resolve your complaint
  • Only close your complaint after discussing it with you first and confirm the reasons in writing.

How to contact us

There are various ways to report Anti-social behaviour caused by council tenants:

Council Offices
Urban Road
Kirkby in Ashfield
NG17 8DA

  • In writing to:

Housing Management Department
Council Offices
Urban Road
Kirkby in Ashfield
NG17 8DA