Skip to sub navigation Skip to main content

Do I need planning permission?

New buildings, major alterations, enlargement of existing buildings and the change of use of a building or piece of land are defined as development. These types of development will normally require planning permission.

Certain work does not require planning permission in certain circumstances. This is called permitted development and relates to a wide range of residential and commercial projects and changes of use, subject to size limitations and conditions. Some forms of permitted development will however require prior approval from the local authority.

We offer a free householder planning questionnaire service - you can find this in the related documents section of this web page - which allows local residents to establish whether planning permission is required for their home improvement project prior to starting works. 

When completed the form should be returned to us by: 

Ashfield District Council
Urban Road
Kirkby in Ashfield
NG17 8DA. 

General guidance on permitted development and if planning permission is required is also available on the Planning Portal.

If you consider your proposal is permitted development and require written confirmation from us that this is the case, you can submit an application for a lawful development certificate for the proposed development or use.

The completed application form would need to be submitted with a location plan outlining the site in red, the relevant fee and plans of the proposal. A lawful development certificate can also be obtained for an existing development or use.