Count assistant - role description
We have a number of roles which need to be filled to help an election to take place. These are in addition to members of our staff who will support an election. Find out about the role of count assistant.
To work as part of a team sorting and counting ballot papers quickly but accurately, whilst under pressure and under observation of candidates and agents.
Duties and responsibilities
On count day
- work in a team as chosen by the Returning Officer, Elections Team and Count Supervisor
- verify and count the number of ballot papers in a ballot box and recount if required
- alert the Count Supervisor of any doubtful ballot papers
- as instructed tidy up and make good the count table and count venue
- avoid making conversation with candidates, agents and guests
- always keep the secrecy of the ballot
- stay politically neutral.
- have good communication skills and the ability to follow instructions
- have good administration skills and attention to detail
- be a team player and have a flexible attitude
- be punctual, reliable and calm under pressure.
- Previous experience as a Count Assistant is desirable.