Development management documents
All of the relevant development plan documents, supplementary planning guidance, emerging local plan documents and technical papers which provide the evidence base for the emerging local plan are indexed from this web page.
We consider all planning applications against the planning policies set out in the Local Plan (saved policies) and the neighbourhood plans. Where applicable these policies are informed by supplementary planning documents.
- Adopted Local Plan [PDF 4Mb] - contains planning policies to manage development in Ashfield. This is the main document used to decide planning applications. The Ashfield Local Plan Review 2020 sets out policies which were not saved. The plan should be seen in conjunction with information on saved policies. Adopted November 2002
- Ashfield Local Plan Review Proposals Maps - Local Plan map north sheet [PDF 2Mb] and Local Plan map South sheet [PDF 2Mb] - Identifies specific policies and site allocations, such as housing and employment, from the Local Plan in map format. Adopted November 2002.
- JUS-t Neighbourhood Plan 2017- 2032 [PDF 2Mb] and JUS-t Neighbourhood Plan Appendix E place analysis [PDF 6Mb] - Contains planning policies to manage development substantially covering most of the Parish of Selston. The Local Plan and the Neighbourhood Plan are the main documents, which is used to decide planning applications in the neighbourhood area. More information can be found on the Jacksdale, Underwood, and Selston Neighbourhood Plan web page. Referendum 12 October 2017 made by Ashfield District Council 7 November 2017.
- Teversal Neighbourhood Development Plan 2016-2031 [PDF 1Mb] and Teversal Neighbourhood Development Plan Appendix C design guide [PDF 23Mb] - Contains planning policies to manage development in the area to the north of Sutton in Ashfield including Skegby, Stanton Hill, Teversal, Fackley and Stanley. The Local Plan and the Neighbourhood Plan are the main documents used to decide planning applications in the neighbourhood area. There is more information on the Teversal, Stanton Hill, and Skegby Neighbourhood Plan web page. Referendum 12 October 2017 made by Ashfield District Council 7 November 2017.
- Nottinghamshire County Council and Nottingham City Council Waste Plan - The waste plan sets out the approach to future waste management in Nottinghamshire and Nottingham over the next 20 years. The Waste Core Strategy was adopted in December 2013.
- Nottinghamshire County Council Minerals Plan: The Minerals Plan sets out how much mineral we are likely to need, site specific allocations to meet identified demand and a range of planning policies against which future minerals development will be assessed. It is brought forward by Nottinghamshire County Council. The Minerals Local Plan was adopted in December 2005
Supplementary Planning Documents
There is more information on the Supplementary Planning Documents web page.
- Residential Design Guide Supplementary Planning Document [PDF 1Mb] - The SPD sets out how we expect the location, form and type of residential development in Ashfield will be considered through the design process. Adopted in November 2014.
- Residential Extensions Design Guide Supplementary Planning Document [PDF 4Mb] - This SPD relates to the design of residential extensions and other householder related development constructed throughout Ashfield. Adopted in November 2014.
- Residential Car Parking Standards Supplementary Planning Document [PDF 3Mb] - The intention of the Residential Car Parking Standards SPD is to provide clarification and supporting guidance to Policies in the Ashfield Local Plan Review 2002 on residential car parking requirements. Adopted in November 2014.
- Guide for Converting Shops to Residential Supplementary Planning Document [PDF 1Mb] - Provide practical advice for developers who are considering converting a shop (generally A1 to A5 Use Classes1) to a house or flat. Adopted in January 2019.
Historic environment documents
- Local Heritage List - Interactive map which identified accepted or nominated assets for the Local Heritage list in Ashfield.
Conservation area documents
You can find information on all the designated conservation areas on the conservation area web page.
- Annesley conservation area: designated conservation area. Adopted 1999.
- Bagthorpe conservation area: designated conservation area. Adopted 1975, amended 2007.
- Kirkby Cross conservation area: designated conservation area with Article 4 Directive. Adopted 1975, amended 2004.
- Sutton in Ashfield Church and Market Place conservation area: designated conservation area. Adopted 2015.
- Teversal conservation area: designated conservation area. Adopted 1970, amended 2012.
- Hucknall conversation area: designated conservation area. Adopted 2019.
Emerging local plan and other main planning policy documents
Information on the emerging local plan, supporting policy documents and the evidence base for the emerging plan. Evidence based documents will be updated where appropriate.
- Statement of Community Involvement (SCI) [PDF 1Mb] - Sets out how we intend to consult on planning policy documents, and requirements for consulting on major planning applications. Adopted in November 2019.
- Local Development Scheme [PDF 681Kb] - Sets out the programme for producing planning policy documents. Adopted in October 2018.
- Sustainability appraisal scoping report February 2020 [PDF 5Mb] - Sets out the basis of how we assess the environmental, social and economic effects of our plans and policies. Adopted in February 2020.
- Sustainability appraisal scoping report appendix 2020 [PDF 529Kb] - Sets out the plans and programmes which informed the SA Scoping Report
- Sustainability appraisal scoping report consultation report: Sets out the responses to the consultation undertaken on the draft SA Scoping Report.
Technical reports and background evidence
- Brownfield land register: an annual register of brownfield land suitable for housing development. This relates only to Part 1 of the register as no sites have been identified in Part 2. Adopted in January 2020.
- Annual monitoring review 2018-2019 [PDF 1Mb] - The Annual Monitoring Report sets out what is happening in Ashfield. It is used to inform whether Local Plan policies need to be updated. This is reviewed annually.
- Housing Land Monitoring Report 2021 [PDF 1Mb] - Land for housing and the rate of dwelling completions is monitored annually. This is reviewed annually.
- Employment land monitoring report 2020 [PDF 4Mb] - Sets out the availability and development of land for employment purposes. This is reviewed annually.
- Retail floorspace survey 2020 [PDF 4Mb] - undertaken at frequent intervals to monitor changes within the retail sector in Ashfield. Reviewed frequently.
- Self-build and custom build monitoring - The monitoring reports set out in broad terms the nature of demand according to the register. It also identifies permissions that have been granted that could potentially contribute to meeting that demand. This is reviewed regularly.
- Sustainable energy policy main document [PDF 1Mb] - main document: Provide evidence on sustainable energy for Nottinghamshire - 2009.
- Sustainable energy renewable carbon energy maps [PDF 4Mb] - operational renewal and low carbon energy schemes - 2009.
Sustainable energy consultation report [PDF 971Kb]
- Draft policy framework on sustainable energy - 2009
- Low carbon energy opportunities [PDF 1Mb] - Evidence base for the technical potential for renewable and low carbon energy technologies - 2011
- Strategic flood risk assessment [PDF 2Mb] - Overview of flood risk for Ashfield - 2009
- Outline water cycle study [PDF 6Mb] - An assessment of the water infrastructure to accommodate growth - 2010.
Strategic Green Belt (SGBR) methodology [PDF 66Kb]
- Sets out the approach used inn undertaking a review of the Green Belt in Ashfield as part of the Local Plan process - 2016
- SGBR Appendix 1 - map of greenbelt in Ashfield and assessment areas [PDF 4Mb]
- SGBR Appendix 2 - Greater Nottinghamshire and Ashfield green belt assessment framework [PDF 300Kb]
- SGBR Appendix 4 - Selston Green Belt Assessments [PDF 7Mb]
- SGBR Appendix 3 - Kirkby and Annesley Green Belt Assessments [PDF 49Mb]
- SGBR Appendix 5 - Jacksdale Green Belt Assessments [PDF 3Mb]
- SGBR Appendix 6 - Brinsley Green Belt Assessments [PDF 17Mb]
- SGBR Appendix 7 - Underwood Green Belt Assessments [PDF 37Mb]
- SGBR Appendix 8 - Hucknall Green Belt Assessments [PDF 10Mb]
Green Belt Boundary Review Technical Paper [PDF 3Mb]
- Review of the Green Belt boundaries to determine whether there are any anomalies - 2015
- Green Belt Boundary Review Technical Paper (Addendum) [PDF 921Kb]
Ashfield Criteria for Local Heritage Asset Designation [PDF 13Mb]
- Sets out the approach to identify local heritage assets in Ashfield - 2013
Hardwick Hall Setting Study [PDF 22Mb]
- Study on behalf of the National Trust examining the setting of Hardwick Hall a Grade I listed building, the Old Hall and the historic park and gardens - 2016
- Ashfield Green Infrastructure and Biodiversity Technical Paper [PDF 25Mb] - Identifies the green infrastructure corridors in Ashfield - 2013
- Biodiversity Opportunity Mapping Project [PDF 6Mb] - Provides a better understanding of biodiversity across Ashfield - 2016
- Greater Nottingham Landscape Character Assessment (Ashfield Part Only) [PDF 2Mb] - Undertakes an assessment of the landscape of Ashfield and surrounding districts - 2009
- Addendum to Landscape Character Assessment [PDF 6Mb]
- Playing Pitch Strategy June 2017 [PDF 7Mb] - Overview of the provision for various sports in Ashfield for the period 2017 - 2020 - 2017
- Public Open Space Strategy [PDF 767Kb] - Considers the open space requirements for Ashfield for the period 2016 – 2026 - 2016
- Maid Marion Rail Extension Economic Impact Analysis [PDF 3Mb] - Considers the potential overall economic impact of the new Maid Marian passenger route through Ashfield and Mansfield - February 2020
- Maid Marian rail extension masterplan report [PDF 17Mb] - The masterplans make recommendations on specific local interventions that could be delivered to each of the train stations and surrounding localities.
- Employment Land Forecasting Study, Nottingham Core HMA & Nottingham Outer HMA [PDF 6Mb] - Evidence on economic prospects and employment land forecasts for the Nottingham Core Housing Market Area (HMA) and the Nottingham Outer HMA - 2015
- Ashfield and Mansfield A Plan for Growth [PDF 4Mb] - Economic development strategy for Ashfield and Mansfield - 2017
- Nottingham Core HMA And Nottingham Outer HMA Employment Land Needs Study 2021 [PDF 22Mb] Nottingham Core HMA and Nottingham Outer HMA Employment Land Needs Study, 2021 Lichfields - Updated the evidence on economic prospects and employment land forecasts for the Nottingham Core Housing Market Area (HMA) and the Nottingham Outer HMA. (Warning: Large document; please access this document on a computer over WiFi. If you encounter issues accessing this document, please contact Planning.)
Shopping and town centres
- Masterplans for Sutton in Ashfield and Kirkby In Ashfield [PDF 3Mb] - Guide and maximise the opportunities for the respective town centres. The Sutton Masterplan has been updated - 2007
- Hucknall Town Centre Masterplan [PDF 7Mb] - Masterplan for Hucknall Town Centre - 2009
- Ashfield Retail and Leisure Study (including Appendices A-F) [PDF 1Mb] - The 2016 Retail and Leisure Study acts as an update to the two previous Ashfield Retail Studies completed in 2006 and 2011 - 2016
- Ashfield Retail and Leisure Study - Appendix A Map of Study Area and Zones Plan. [PDF 1Mb]
- Ashfield Retail and Leisure Study - Appendix B Health Check Summary of Sutton, Hucknall and Kirkby [PDF 1Mb]
- Ashfield Retails and Leisure Study - Appendix C Experian GOAD Plans for Sutton, Hucknall and Kirkby [PDF 3Mb]
- Ashfield Retail and Leisure Study - Appendix D Health Check of Local Shopping Centres [PDF 1Mb]
- Ashfield Retail and Leisure Study - Appendix E Household Survey Results [PDF 624Kb]
- Ashfield Retail and Leisure Study - Appendix F Statistical Tables [PDF 2Mb]
- Ashfield Retail and Leisure Study - Appendix G Town Centre Boundaries [PDF 3Mb]
- Housing Land Supply: Explanatory Paper [PDF 282Kb] - Clarifies and draws together information regarding the Council’s approach to various aspects of housing land supply in Ashfield - 2017
- Ashfield North SHLAA [PDF 637Kb] - Assessment of sites put forward for housing in Ashfield excluding Hucknall - 2016
- Ashfield North SHLAA - Sutton In Ashfield [PDF 38Mb]
- Ashfield North SHLAA - Kirkby-in-Ashfield Reports [PDF 21Mb]
- Ashfield North SHLAA - The Rurals Reports [PDF 20Mb]
- Ashfield Hucknall SHLAA [PDF 529Kb] - Assessment of sites put forward for housing in Hucknall - 2016
- Ashfield Hucknall SHLAA - Hucknall Reports [PDF 27Mb]
- Nottinghamshire Gypsy & Traveller Accommodation Needs Assessment [PDF 1Mb]
- Ashfield Traveller Accommodation Needs Assessment [PDF 1Mb] - Sets out Gypsy, Traveller and Travelling Showmen accommodation needs for Ashfield District for the period 2014 to 2029 - 2015
- Greater Nottingham and Ashfield Housing Needs Assessment 2020 [PDF 5Mb] - Provides as assessment of local housing needs, addressing the need for different types of housing for different groups.
- Ashfield New Settlement Study Final Report March 2021 [PDF 8Mb] - The report assesses the suitability, availability and achievability of two potential new settlement options for the emerging Ashfield Local Plan. (Warning: Large document; please access this document on a computer over WiFi. If you encounter issues accessing this document, please contact Planning. )
- Ashfield New Settlements Study 2021 Technical Proforma Site 1 Kirkby Lane Pinxton Lane Kirkby In Ashfield [PDF 6Mb] - Ashfield New Settlements Study, 2021 Technical Proforma Site 1 - Kirkby Lane/Pinxton Lane, Kirkby-in-Ashfield
- Ashfield New Settlements Study 2021 Technical Proforma Site 2 Cauldwell Road Derby Road Sutton In Ashfield [PDF 6Mb] - Ashfield New Settlements Study, 2021 Technical Proforma Site 2 - Cauldwell Road/Derby Road, Sutton in Ashfield
Contributing to successful development
- Greater Nottingham (including Ashfield) accessibility of settlements study [PDF 983Kb] Sets out an analysis of sustainable settlements - 2010
- Ashfield Transport Study appendices [PDF 13Mb] - Assesses the transport implications of growth options - 2016
- Nottinghamshire Local Transport Plan Strategy 2011-2026 [PDF 7Mb] - Sets out the County Council’s transport strategy to 2026 - 2011
- Ashfield Local Plan and Community Infrastructure Liability Viability assessment [PDF 2Mb] - Considers the approach to viability of development and the requirement for affordable housing - 2016
- Infrastructure delivery plan [PDF 4Mb] - Sets out the evidence on the physical, social and environmental infrastructure in Ashfield - 2016
- Education Joint Paper The Provision of School Places to Support Housing Allocations in the Ashfield Local Plan Publications 2016 [PDF 891Kb] - Jointly agreed Statement considers the housing growth in the Ashfield and the impact this may have on primary and secondary pupil places in Ashfield - 2018