Skip to sub navigation Skip to main content

Major improvement works

We use the term major improvement works to describe the bigger repairs or improvement works to your home. This usually covers the replacement of whole things rather than parts of things. For example, we will replace a kitchen, not just the worktop or a cupboard.

Our aim is to ensure that we maintain all homes to a good standard. We carry out all types of works associated with a building, such as the replacement of:

  • kitchens
  • bathrooms
  • central heating boilers/systems
  • electrical installations
  • windows
  • external doors
  • roof coverings
  • render. 

We also carry out some schemes of works to improve things like insulation levels which can help keep down heating costs.

Our major works programmes

We carry out building surveys in all our homes to identify the condition of each building component (such as the kitchen, bathroom, boiler etc.) to establish what needs to be replaced and when. 

It is really important we gain access to your home to complete this survey. If we don't we may not be able to add your home to a programme of improvement works. 

Before works start

Before any works commence in your home you will receive a notification letter from us providing you with details of what we plan to do, and an approximate start date. If you wish to check if your home is due to receive any major works in the near future please contact us. 

You will then be contacted by our construction partner who will explain what will happen, provide you with details about when it will start, and find out from you if there are any concerns or special circumstances that they need to take into account when carrying out the works.

They will also advise you how to prepare for the works, as well as provide you with contact information should you have any questions or queries. They may also need to carry out some pre-works surveys.

All visits, surveys and works will be in accordance with the Government guidelines relating to coronavirus. 

During the works

During major programmes of work our construction partner will be available to assist you with any queries you may have, and provide assistance where required.

They may visit you in your home, or contact you via telephone, and will keep you informed about the progress of the works.

Completion of works

We will inspect and ‘sign off’ the completed works to ensure that they have been carried out to a satisfactory standard.

We also may send you a tenant satisfaction survey form when works are completed. You are under no obligation to complete this survey, but it does give you the chance to tell us what we did well, or what we could improve upon. This feedback is important for us to make sure that we and our construction partners are providing the best possible service.

Reporting defects

Our construction partner will be responsible for rectifying defects relating to major works for 12 months from the completion of works in your home.

You can report a defect to us by: 

You can also write to us using the address details in the contact section of this web page.

If you have a defect after the 12 months defect period expires, or if the defect is not related to major works see our information on requesting repairs and emergency repairs

Our construction partner

Most of the work we do is carried out by a single contractor, called a construction partner. They are appointed through a tender exercise, and work under a formal contract which can last up to 5 years.

Ways to contact us about major works

You can find information on reporting defects with major works in the reporting defects section of this web page. 

If you have a non-urgent enquiry you may prefer to write to us by post or email. Please remember to include your name, address and contact details in order that we may respond to you directly:

Assets and Investments – Major Works Department
Operations Directorate
Ashfield District Council
Urban Road
Kirkby In Ashfield
NG17 8DA