Skip to sub navigation Skip to main content

Betting, gaming and lotteries

We licence premises where gambling takes place as well as register small society lotteries. This is under the Gambling Act 2005. 

We must make sure our work and licences: 

  • prevent gambling from being a source of crime or disorder, being associated with crime or disorder or being used to support crime
  • ensure gambling is conducted in a fair and open way
  • protect children and other vulnerable persons from being harmed or exploited by gambling.

To support this and explain how we will carry out its duties under the Gambling Act 2005 we have a statement of gambling policy available.

The Gambling Commission is the national regulatory body for commercial gambling in the UK. We provide licences and permits for: 

  • betting offices, race tracks, bingo clubs, adult gaming centres and family entertainment centres
  • gaming machines in members' clubs and licensed premises (fruit machines or amusement with prizes), gaming in members' clubs
  • prize gaming
  • unlicensed family entertainment centres. 

We are also responsible for the registration of small society lotteries, promoted on behalf of non-commercial societies, and for temporary and occasional use notices.

We monitor and enforce all licences we issue. When considering applications other organisations, as well as members of the public, can make an objection. Along with us the organisations usually interested in gambling and lottery licences are: 

  • Nottinghamshire Police
  • Fire Authority
  • Child Protection Matters at Nottinghamshire County Council
  • HM Revenues and Customs
  • The Gambling Commission. 

Responsible authorities

Applications for premises licences require copies of your application to be sent to the responsible authorities. These are: 

Licensing Authority

Licensing Team
Ashfield District Council
Urban Road
Kirkby in Ashfield
NG17 8DA 

Nottinghamshire Police

The Chief Constable
Nottinghamshire Police HQ (CJ)
Liquor Licensing
Mansfield Police Station
Great Central Road Mansfield
NG18 2HQ 

Environmental Health

Environmental Health Team
Ashfield District Council
Urban Road
Kirkby in Ashfield
NG17 8DA 

telephone: 01623 457407

The Local Planning Authority

Planning Team
Ashfield District Council
Urban Road
NG17 8DA 

Fire Authority

Fire Protection North Group
Mansfield Fire Station
Rosemary Street
NG19 6AB

Safeguarding Authority

Nottinghamshire Safeguarding Children Board
Nottinghamshire County Council
3rd Floor County Hall
Loughborough Road
West Bridgford

HM Revenue and Customs

HMRC National Registration Unit
Portcullis House
21 India Street
G2 4PZ

Gambling Commission

The Gambling Commission
Victoria Square House
Victoria Square
B2 4BP

How much do licences cost?

The cost of each type of gambling licence can be found in the related documents section of this page. You can also find the details on the web page for each type of licence.