Skip to sub navigation Skip to main content

Food business

If you are a business involved in food and drinks, or you are an approved premises supplying food to other businesses you will need to follow hygiene and safety rules. You may also need a licence. 

A food business - whether for profit or not - is one involving: 

  • preparation of food
  • processing of food
  • manufacture of food
  • packaging of food
  • storage of food
  • transportation/distribution of food
  • handling of food
  • offering food for sale
  • and includes anyone catering from a home or domestic address such as a cake maker.  

An approved premises is one producing or supplying products of animal origin to other food businesses. You will need approval to do this work.

Latest coronavirus information for food businesses

The latest coronavirus information and advice for food businesses is available on Gov.UK. The COVID-19 guidance is intended for all workplaces involved in the manufacturing, processing, warehousing, picking, packaging, retailing and service of food. 

Broader coronavirus advice for businesses, and advice on licensing, during this time - including financial support available - can be found in the coronavirus advice section of this website. 

Starting and registering a new food business

Get set up right from the start by making sure you: 

You will need to make sure you have identified and carried out anything needed to make your food business safe. 

Ways to contact us about your food business or premises

If you have any questions or are an premises needing to discuss what approval you need in place you can contact us by: