Skip to sub navigation Skip to main content

Data protection

We take our responsibility to the security of data very seriously. We comply with the Data Protection Act 2018 and the General Data Protection Regulation 2016. 

Our Privacy Notice details the following:

  • how you can contact us
  • notification of Change of Privacy Notice
  • how we collect and use your personal information
  • how the law allows us to use your personal information
  • how we only use what we need
  • what rights you have in relation to your personal data
  • how to ask to have your information moved to another provider (data portability)
  • who we share your information with
  • how we record what personal data we hold
  • how do we protect your information
  • where in the world is your information held
  • how long we keep your personal information
  • our use of cookies
  • your credit or debit card information
  • where you can get advice and more information. 

We process all of the personal information you provide in accordance with this Act and Regulation. For more information you can see our privacy notice on this website. 

Accessing my own information

If you wish to view information we hold about you, you must make what is known as a 'subject access request' (SAR) or a 'personal information request' (PIR).

You are entitled to be told if any personal data is held about you and if so:

  • to be given a description of the information
  • to be told for what purposes the information is processed
  • to be told the organisations or types of organisations to which your information may have been disclosed.

 You are also entitled:

  • to be given a copy of the information with any difficult or technical terms explained
  • to know, if the council is holding the information, where it came from
  • to be given an explanation as to how any automated decisions taken about you have been made.

How do I make a request?

Your request for information must be made in writing and you will need to provide proof of identity. We may ask for information we reasonably need to verify your identity and to find the information.

You should download the personal information request form from this page, complete it and return it to us. Completed forms should be returned by: 

You may also need to provide us with information such as whether, for example, you are a customer or employee of the council. 

An open ended request for access such as “give me a copy of all the information you hold on me” will not be sufficient for us to find the information. Information which may help might include details of information thought to be held, the relevant departments, dates of documents, relevant time periods etc.

When we have received your request we must give you the information or a reason why the information cannot be given to you within 30 calendar days.

Information that may be withheld

In principle, individuals have access to all personal data held about them, however, there are a few exceptions.  

We can withhold personal information, if providing you with the information could affect:

  • the way crime is detected or prevented
  • catching or prosecuting offenders
  • assessing or collecting tax or duty
  • the information identifies other people who have not consented to their information being passed on.

Sometimes, your personal information may contain information about other people. This is referred to as 'third party information'. You are only permitted to access information about you and we may have to withhold or edit information, so that it does not identify third parties.

Will the council ever refuse my request?

We are entitled to refuse to answer a request that is manifestly unfounded or excessive, particularly if the request is repetitive. Where we decide a request is manifestly unfounded or excessive we will usually decline to comply with the request. 

Can I make a request for someone else?

Yes, but we need to be absolutely sure you are authorised by them to make the request. Proof must be in writing and signed by that person.

Can I request information about a deceased person?

You may only access your own information under the General Data Protection Regulation/Data Protection Act 2018. Requests for other people’s information, including the deceased, will be dealt with under the Freedom of Information Act.

What if I am not happy with the way my request has been dealt with?

If you are unhappy with our decision on your request you should first make a complaint to us. 

If you are still unhappy at the outcome of your complaint and with the way your request has been handled, details can be found on the bottom of our response to you, including contact details for the Information Commissioners Office (ICO).