Skip to sub navigation Skip to main content

Help with paying your rent

There are many ways you can pay your rent as our tenant. If you don't pay your rent we can't provide the services you might expect from us as your landlord such as home improvements. You may also risk losing your home. 

Problems paying your rent?

As our tenant you need to make sure you don’t fall behind with your rent payments. If you do not pay your rent, you risk losing your home.

We are here to help, so if have problems paying your rent let us know straight away. If you are on a low income or welfare benefits you may be able to get an additional contribution towards some or all of your rent.

To get advice or to make a repayment arrangement to pay your rent arrears you can get in touch by: 

Help with paying your rent

Universal Credit

Many working age benefits are in the process of moving to Universal Credit. If you are on a low income or on certain welfare benefits and need help to pay your rent, you may be able to make a claim for Universal Credit.

Any Universal Credit contribution towards your rent will normally paid to you directly, monthly in arrears and you will need to make payments to your rent account yourself.

If you wish to make a claim for Universal Credit or need further information, visit the Gov.UK website

Housing Benefit

If you are finding it difficult to pay your rent and are in receipt of severe disability premium or are of state pension age, you may be entitled to housing benefit. 

You can also get in contact with our Revenues Team to discuss your eligibility by:

  • telephone: 01623 450000. 

Discretionary Housing Payment

If you are affected by the bedroom tax or benefit cap you may be eligible to apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment.

Other social benefits

There is a range of disability-related financial support, including benefits, tax credits, payments, grants and concessions that can also be claimed.

The main disability and sickness benefits in addition to any statutory state benefits are:

  • Personal Independence Payment: Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a tax-free benefit for people aged 16 to 64 to help with the extra costs caused by long term ill-health or a disability.
  • Attendance Allowance: Attendance Allowance is a tax-free benefit for people aged 65 or over who have a disability and need someone to help look after them.
  • Disability Living Allowance: Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children may help with the extra costs of looking after a child who:
    • is under 16
    • has difficulties walking or needs more looking after than a child of the same age who doesn’t have a disability.

You can use an online benefits calculator to see whether you may be eligible for any welfare benefits. 

Struggling with your finances

If you are behind with your rent and owe money to other people or are struggling with your finances let us know. Our Money Management Advisor Team can help tenants with, budgeting support, income maximisation, and make referrals to other specialist agencies and charities.

Citizens Advice can also provide independent help and advice on:

  • debt and money advice
  • rights at work
  • benefits advice
  • consumer helpline
  • family related issues
  • housing and rent arrears
  • the legal system and civil rights. 

Find out more on the Ashfield Citizens Advice website

Places to get impartial debt advice

National Debt Line
telephone: 0808 808 4000

Step Change Debt Charity
telephone: 0800 138 1111

telephone: 0800 280 2816

Debt Advice Foundation
telephone: 0800 043 4050.