Skip to sub navigation Skip to main content
Please note: We are currently experiencing technical issues with our bin collections calendar.

Taxi and private hire vehicle licence

There are two types of annual vehicle licence in Ashfield - for Hackney carriages (taxis) and for private hire vehicles. You must have the right licence for your vehicle before you use it for this type of work. 

As well as a vehicle licence you need to be licensed as a driver (by the same council the vehicle is licensed by) and if you work for a private hire company they must have an operator licence

We regularly carry out check to make sure licensed vehicles are safe, and meet high standards visually and mechanically. 

How to license a vehicle for the first time

Vehicles being licensed for the first time must be under 5 years of age as stated in the V5 log book. We will not licence vehicles which have been marked as an insurance write off. 

Vehicles must be wheelchair accessible. This means licensed vehicles must be able to carry the passenger whilst in a wheelchair. The full standards and criteria for vehicles licensed by us can be found in the vehicle application pack in the related documents section of this page.

You will need to book a compliance test with our MOT team and pay the fee for your licence through our online system.

You will then need to book a virtual appointment for us to process your application - you do not need to attend this appointment in person. You can book by email at:

All application forms and documents can be downloaded from this page and submitted to us with copies of any supporting documentation by email. If you have any issues accessing the application forms or documents, please email us for assistance:

Vehicles over 5-years-old

To licence a vehicle older than 5-years-old you will need to show:

  • for Hackney carriages - it is a fully wheelchair accessible vehicle
  • for private hire - it must be either a fully wheelchair accessible vehicle or have CO2 emissions (as detailed on the V5 Log Book) are no higher than 120
  • the vehicle application is supported by an Auto-Engineer Report stating it is in exceptional condition. 

Apart from these details the process is the same as for a newer vehicle. Forms can be downloaded from this page and submitted to us with copies of any supporting documentation by email. 

Transfer ownership of a licensed vehicle 

If you sell a licensed vehicle you must let us know, including details of the new owner. If you buy a licensed vehicle you must also let us know. You need to do this within 14 days of buying the vehicle

You will need to complete and send a transfer of ownership form to us. There is no charge for this but you will need to book a virtual appointment so we can process the form. 

Renewing a vehicle licence

We will send you a reminder 2 months before your vehicle renewal is due. Details of how to renew are in the application pack which can be downloaded from this page. 

How much does it cost?

There are a number of costs involved in licensing a vehicle for use as a taxi or for private hire. You can pay these fees online using a debit or credit card once you've submitted your application to us. 

Type of licence or item Cost (£)
Hackney Carriage Vehicle Licence: New, renewal or change of vehicle £320.00
Private Hire Vehicle Licence: New, renewal or change of vehicle £300.00
(Change of proprietor of vehicle)
Discount for low emission vehicle or wheelchair accessible vehicle - £30.00
Certificate of compliance test / Retest
(at Council Motor Transport Depot)
Independent Auto-Engineer Report
(at Council Motor Transport Depot)
Replacement licence plate £29.00
Plate holding bracket
(at Council Motor Transport Depot)
Amendment to licence £15.00
Copy of licence £5.00

Pay for your application

Loss of a licence plate

If you lose the licence plate from your vehicle let us know as soon as possible so we can send a replacement. This costs £29. If you need a plate holder bracket too these cost an extra £10. 

You can pay through our online system using a debit or credit card.

Other ways to contact us about taxi and private hire vehicle licences

If you have a question about licensing or want to make a complaint about a taxi or private hire operator, vehicle or driver, you can contact us by: