Local Plan evidence base
"An evidence base is information utilised to understand the area where we live and work and to inform the Local Plan, its policies, allocations and areas to be protected. It reflects that national planning policy requires that “the preparation and review of all policies should be underpinned by relevant and up to date evidence. This should be adequate and proportionate, focused tightly on supporting and justifying the policies concerned, and take into account relevant market signals." (NPPF July 2021, paragraph 31).
Meeting the challenge of climate change and adapt to its effects
- Sustainable energy policy main document [PDF 1Mb] - main document: Provide evidence on sustainable energy for Nottinghamshire - 2009
- Sustainable energy renewable carbon energy maps [PDF 4Mb] - operational renewal and low carbon energy schemes - 2009
- Sustainable energy consultation report [PDF 971Kb]- Draft policy framework on sustainable energy - 2009
- Low carbon energy opportunities [PDF 1Mb] - Evidence base for the technical potential for renewable and low carbon energy technologies - 2011
- Strategic flood risk assessment [PDF 2Mb] - Overview of flood risk for Ashfield - 2009
- Outline water cycle study [PDF 6Mb] - An assessment of the water infrastructure to accommodate growth - 2010.
Protecting and enhancing Ashfield’s character through its natural environment and heritage
A number of different studies have been prepared to support the development of environmental policies in the Local Plan.
- 2016 Strategic Green Belt Review (SGBR) Methodology and Addendum Updated 2021 - Sets out the approach used inn undertaking a review of the Green Belt in Ashfield as part of the Local Plan process
- SGBR Appendix 1 - map of greenbelt in Ashfield and assessment areas [PDF 4Mb]
- SGBR Appendix 2 - Greater Nottinghamshire and Ashfield green belt assessment framework [PDF 300Kb]
- SGBR Appendix 3 - Kirkby and Annesley Green Belt Assessments [PDF 49Mb]
- SGBR Appendix 4 - Selston Green Belt Assessments [PDF 7Mb]
- SGBR Appendix 5 - Jacksdale Green Belt Assessments [PDF 3Mb]
- SGBR Appendix 6 - Brinsley Green Belt Assessments [PDF 17Mb]
- SGBR Appendix 7 - Underwood Green Belt Assessments [PDF 37Mb]
- SGBR Appendix 8 - Hucknall Green Belt Assessments [PDF 10Mb]
- SGBR Appendix 9 - Junction 27, M1 Motorway Assessments [PDF 357Kb]
- Green Belt Boundary Review Technical Paper [PDF 3Mb] - Review of the Green Belt boundaries to determine whether there are any anomalies - 2015
- Ashfield Criteria for Local Heritage Asset Designation [PDF 13Mb] - Sets out the approach to identify local heritage assets in Ashfield - 2013
- Hardwick Hall Setting Study [PDF 22Mb] - Study on behalf of the National Trust examining the setting of Hardwick Hall a Grade I listed building, the Old Hall and the historic park and gardens - 2016
- Ashfield Green Infrastructure and Biodiversity Technical Paper [PDF 25Mb] - Identifies the green infrastructure corridors in Ashfield - 2013
- Biodiversity Opportunity Mapping Project [PDF 6Mb] - Provides a better understanding of biodiversity across Ashfield - 2016. It should be seen in conjunction with neighbouring authorities BOMs
- Greater Nottingham Landscape Character Assessment (Ashfield Part Only) [PDF 2Mb] - Undertakes an assessment of the landscape of Ashfield and surrounding districts - 2009
- Addendum to Landscape Character Assessment [PDF 6Mb]
- Playing Pitch Strategy June 2017 [PDF 7Mb] - Overview of the provision for various sports in Ashfield for the period 2017 - 2020
- Public Open Space Strategy [PDF 767Kb] - Considers the open space requirements for Ashfield for the period 2016 – 2026
Building a strong economy which provides opportunities for local people
The Council has produced a range of studies to support the economic policies of the Local Plan.
- Maid Marion Rail Extension Economic Impact Analysis [PDF 3Mb]- Considers the potential overall economic impact of the new Maid Marian passenger route through Ashfield and Mansfield - February 2020
- Maid Marian rail extension masterplan report [PDF 17Mb] - The masterplans make recommendations on specific local interventions that could be delivered to each of the train stations and surrounding localities
- Employment Land Forecasting Study, Nottingham Core HMA & Nottingham Outer HMA [PDF 6Mb] - Evidence on economic prospects and employment land forecasts for the Nottingham Core Housing Market Area (HMA) and the Nottingham Outer HMA - 2015
- Ashfield and Mansfield A Plan for Growth [PDF 4Mb] - Economic development strategy for Ashfield and Mansfield - 2017
- Nottingham Core HMA And Nottingham Outer HMA Employment Land Needs Study 2021 [PDF 22Mb] - Updated the evidence on economic prospects and employment land forecasts for the Nottingham Core Housing Market Area (HMA) and the Nottingham Outer HMA. (Warning: Large document; please access this document on a computer over WiFi. If you encounter issues accessing this document, please contact Planning.)
Placing vibrant town and local centres at the heart of the community
These studies consider the role of the Town Centres, and retail/leisure aspects.
- Sutton Town Centre Spatial Masterplan - March 2019
- Kirkby Town Centre Spatial Masterplan - Shaping Kirkby’s Future, February 2021
- Hucknall Town Centre Masterplan - Masterplan for Hucknall Town Centre 2022
- Ashfield Retail and Leisure Study (including Appendices A-F) [PDF 1Mb] - The 2016 Retail and Leisure Study acts as an update to the two previous Ashfield Retail Studies completed in 2006 and 2011 - 2016
- Ashfield Retail and Leisure Study - Appendix A Map of Study Area and Zones Plan [PDF 1Mb]
- Ashfield Retail and Leisure Study - Appendix B Health Check Summary of Sutton, Hucknall and Kirkby [PDF 1Mb]
- Ashfield Retails and Leisure Study - Appendix C Experian GOAD Plans for Sutton, Hucknall and Kirkby [PDF 3Mb]
- Ashfield Retail and Leisure Study - Appendix D Health Check of Local Shopping Centres [PDF 1Mb]
- Ashfield Retail and Leisure Study - Appendix E Household Survey Results [PDF 624Kb]
- Ashfield Retail and Leisure Study - Appendix F Statistical Tables [PDF 2Mb]
- Ashfield Retail and Leisure Study - Appendix G Town Centre Boundaries [PDF 3Mb]
Meeting local housing needs and aspirations
- SHELAA Methodology 2021
- Appendix E: Hucknall SHELAA Reports
- Appendix F: Kirkby SHELAA Reports
- Appendix G: Sutton SHELAA Reports
- Appendix H: Rural SHELAA Reports
- SHELAA Interactive Map
- Greater Nottingham and Ashfield District Council Gypsy and Traveller Accommodation Assessment, March 2021
- Nottinghamshire Gypsy & Traveller Accommodation Needs Assessment - RRR Consultancy Ltd.
- Greater Nottingham and Ashfield Housing Needs Assessment 2020 [PDF 5Mb] - Provides as assessment of local housing needs, addressing the need for different types of housing for different groups.
- Ashfield New Settlement Study Final Report March 2021 [PDF 8Mb] - The report assesses the suitability, availability and achievability of two potential new settlement options for the emerging Ashfield Local Plan. (Warning: Large document; please access this document on a computer over WiFi. If you encounter issues accessing this document, please contact Planning.)
- Ashfield New Settlements Study 2021 Technical Proforma Site 1 Kirkby Lane Pinxton Lane Kirkby In Ashfield [PDF 6Mb] - Ashfield New Settlements Study, 2021 Technical Proforma Site 1 - Kirkby Lane/Pinxton Lane, Kirkby-in-Ashfield
- Ashfield New Settlements Study 2021 Technical Proforma Site 2 Cauldwell Road Derby Road Sutton In Ashfield [PDF 6Mb] - Ashfield New Settlements Study, 2021 Technical Proforma Site 2 - Cauldwell Road/Derby Road, Sutton in Ashfield
- Affordable Housing Delivery Strategy 2019-2021 - The focus of this strategy is the actions that can be taken by the Council to increase the supply of affordable homes for rent or for sale in Ashfield district, developed either by the Council, housing association or by a private developer.
Achieving successful development through well designed places.
- Greater Nottingham (including Ashfield) accessibility of settlements study [PDF 983Kb]</a Sets out an analysis of sustainable settlements - 2010
- Nottinghamshire Local Transport Plan Strategy 2011-2026 [PDF 7Mb] - Sets out the County Council’s transport strategy to 2026 - 2011
- Ashfield Local Plan and Community Infrastructure Liability Viability assessment [PDF 2Mb] - Considers the approach to viability of development and the requirement for affordable housing - 2016
- Brownfield land register: an annual register of brownfield land suitable for housing development. This relates only to Part 1 of the register as no sites have been identified in Part 2. Adopted in January 2020
- The Council monitoring reports covering the Annual Monitoring Review, Housing Land Monitoring Report, Employment Land Monitoring Report, and Retail Floorspace Survey are available at:
- Self-build and custom build monitoring - The monitoring reports set out in broad terms the nature of demand according to the register. It also identifies permissions that have been granted that could potentially contribute to meeting that demand. This is reviewed regularly
- Infrastructure Funding Statement - provides a summary of financial contributions the Council has secured through Section 106 agreements from new developments for off-site infrastructure works, affordable housing, and highway works completed as part of new developments.
If you have any queries regarding the draft Local Plan consultation or if you require assistance accessing any of the documents listed, please contact Forward Planning Officers by:
- telephone: 01623 457381, 01623 457382 or 01623 457383
- email: email@example.com