Ashfield District Council is seeking public feedback on a proposed new plan to reshape Kirkby Town Centre.
The Masterplan aims to provide a high-level framework for future investment and development. It looks to maximise the opportunities for Kirkby and capitalise on its existing assets.
In particular it:
- Provides a consensus and common understanding of Kirkby Town Centre as a place - its character and identity.
- Establishes a clear vision for Kirkby Town Centre to guide its development and improvements to 2030.
- Provides clear design principles for subsequent new development/projects with an emphasis on sustainability.
- Identifies sites and buildings where redevelopment and improvements will be encouraged.
- Aims to improve links to and within the Town Centre for pedestrians, cyclists and public transport users.
- Sets out how developments/projects and initiatives could be delivered, who would be involved in delivery, how they might be funded and by what mechanism.
- Provides an evidence base for the emerging Local Plan.
Councillor Jason Zadrozny, Leader of Ashfield District Council said: “Our town centres provide important functions, such as being a focal point for local communities, a centre for economic activity, job creation and retention, transport hubs, spaces for leisure and, increasingly, places to live.
“It is vital for the Council to promote and support the role of our town centres by taking a positive approach to their growth, management and adaptation. The Kirkby Town Centre Spatial Masterplan will be a key document in ensuring we fulfil our aspirations.
“We hope to see as much public feedback as possible during this consultation period, because this is valuable when it comes to shaping the future of our town centres.”
A public consultation is now available until 5pm on Thursday 23rd April 2020.
A copy of the document is available to view on the Ashfield District Council website at www.ashfield.gov.uk/kirkbymasterplans. It is also available to view at the following libraries - Sutton, Huthwaite, Skegby, Kirkby, Hucknall and Selston;
Representations should preferably be submitted using the online representation form, to Ashfield District Council, Forward Planning Section.
The Forward Planning Team are happy to provide further information or assistance if required on telephone number 01623 457382 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org