Starting a New Business

Starting a Food Business

Starting up a new catering business is an exciting proposition. 

It offers the chance to be your own boss, do something you love, be creative and different and embrace a fast growing market.  It is also easy to get it wrong. 

On that basis,  It is very important to get the boring things right at the very start; getting the legalities right at the beginning it will make it much easier for you to run your business well in the future.

Ensure the premises which you intend operating from have the necessary planning consent. Click here for more information 


If you are carrying out structural works to the premises you may need building regulations approval. Click here for more information


Are you operating from a mobile or removable vehicle?  Do you need a license?   Click here for more information


Registration of a new food business premises 

You must ensure your business is registered with Ashfield District Council 28 days before operating or opening your premises.

Registration is a simple process and there is no charge to register premises. Registration does not need to be renewed periodically and local authorities cannot refuse to register premises. Click here for more information

If you are operating a mobile food business the vehicle must be registered with the Local Authoirty/ Council of the borough where the vehicle is stored overnight.

i.e If you operate in Ashfield but take your mobile vehicle to Mansfield every evening; you must register your mobile vehicle with Mansfield Council. If you take the mobile vehicle to Alfreton every evening, you must register with Amber Valley, take it to Newark, register with Newark etc.


Arrangements will need to be made for the collection of your trade waste. Click here for more information


Food Safety Management System

It has always been a requirement for owners of food businesses to think about what could go wrong in their business and decide what control measures and checks need to be in place to ensure that food is safe. However, since 2006 it has been a legal requirement to actually write down details of what you will do and what records you will keep to make sure your food is safe to eat.

Rather than small independent businesses having to produce this type of documentation themselves, the Food Standards Agency have produced a pack called Safer Food Better Business.

This pack will guide you through how to comply with this requirement as well as provide you with the necessary documentation. You simply work through the pack and tick boxes or write brief notes in various sections so as to indicate what you do to prevent your food from becoming unsafe. Every day the person in charge signs a diary within the pack to indicate that the safe methods were followed, and if necessary, makes a note of anything that went wrong and what was done about it.

The Safer Food Better Business pack and diary sheets can be downloaded and printed from the relevant section of the Food Standards Agency's website.