Where work practices or conditions fall short of what is regarded as satisfactory, every attempt will be made to resolve the situation by informal means, but if this is not possible, or if the danger posed gives rise to a risk of serious personal injury, then officers will resort to formal action.

This could involve either the service of a legal notice, prosecution, or in situations where serious personal injury could arise, a prohibition notice requiring immediate action.

Health and Safety Complaint Investigation

Complaints about working conditions are always investigated sensitively and the complainant's confidentiality is assured. Such matters are usually resolved by giving advice to the employer, but as with accident investigation, if formal action is needed then this will be taken.

Health and Safety Accident Investigation

The investigation of dangerous occurrences and accidents at work also forms an important part of the Section's work. The outcome of these enquiries usually involves the giving of advice to the employer. If a blatant breach of requirements is identified as the main reason for an accident happening, then formal action will be taken.

If you would like to complain about a Health and Safety issue within the workplace please contact the Health and Safety (Commercial Team).

View further information on Health & Safety advice and training.

The Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013 (RIDDOR)

RIDDOR stands for the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013.

If an employee is off work due to a work related illness then you must check if it needs to be reported under RIDDOR. If a member of the public has an accident in your workplace and is taken to hospital then you must also report this under RIDDOR. The Incident Contact Centre will still take reports of all fatal and major injuries and incidents by telephone, but businesses reporting all other incidents under RIDDOR will be required to submit an online form, available on the HSE website. You will no longer be able to report incidents by email, post or fax.