Home Page

Alcohol, Entertainment & Late Night Refreshment

The Licensing Act 2003 is in place to regulate the sale / supply of alcohol, the provision of "regulated" entertainment, and the provision of late night refreshment.

Under the Act, Licensing Authorities, of which Ashfield is one, must carry out their functions with a view to promoting the four licensing objectives, along with our Statement of Licensing Policy.


The four licensing objectives are:

  • The prevention of crime & disorder
  • Public Safety
  • The prevention of public nuisance
  • The protection of children from harm

The Licensing Act can be viewed at the Office of Public Sector Information.

Why do I need a licence?

Since the introduction of the Licensing Act in November 2005, anyone who wants to carry out a licensable activity needs a licence to do so.  Licensable activities are defined as:

  • The sale by retail of alcohol
  • The supply of alcohol by or on behalf of a club or to the order of a member of the club
  • The provision of regulated entertainment, namely:
    • Plays
    • Films
    • Indoor Sporting Events
    • Boxing or Wrestling Entertainment
    • Live Music
    • Recorded Music
    • Performances of Dance
    • Entertainment of a similar description to Live Music, Recorded Music or Performances of Dance.
  • The provision of late night refreshment.
    • This is the supply of hot food or drink to members of the public, on or from the premises, whether for consumption on or off the premises, between the hours of 11.00pm and 5.00am. (If you are selling food you will also need to registered as a Food Business with the local Environmental Health Team).

Most pubs, clubs, bars, restaurants, hotels, cinemas, theatres and private members clubs will need a licence.

There are four main types of licence/certificate/notice, namely:

  • Personal Licence
    • A Personal Licence is required by a person who supervises the sale of alcohol in accordance with the Licensing Act.  It is portable and is issued by the Licensing Authority in which the applicant lives at the time of making the application.  The requirement to renew a personal licence was removed from the Licensing Act 2003 by the Deregulation Act 2015.
  • Premises Licence
    • This licence relates to the premises and enables licensable activities to take place at that particular premises.  Where alcohol is a licensable activity at the premises, there must be a Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS).  The DPS must hold a current Personal Licence.  The cost of the premises licence is dependant on the non-domestic rateable value of the premises.
  • Club Premises Certificate
    • This certificate relates to premises that are clubs by nature, usually social clubs or private members clubs, where membership is a requirement of being in the premises.  There is no requirement for a Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) in this type of premises.
  • Temporary Event Notice
    • This allows you to use the premises, for one or more licensable activities, for a period not exceeding 168 hours.  A minimum of 24 hours is required between each event and no more than 15 days can be applied for in any one calendar year. The fee for each notice is £21.00.

If you have any queries please do not hesitate in contacting a member of the Licensing Team.