Personal Licence

A Personal Licence is required by a person who supervises the sale of alcohol in accordance with the Licensing Act.  The Personal Licence holder is eligible to be named as the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) on a premises licence.  Applicants wishing to apply for a Personal Licence must apply to the local council in which they live at the time of making the application (i.e. if someone lives in Hucknall they would apply to Ashfield District Council whereas someone who lives in Papplewick would apply to Gedling Borough Council).

A Personal Licence holder is permitted to use the licence throughout the country and is not restricted to any one premises. 

No requirement to renew Personal Licences

The requirement to renew personal licences has been abolished with effect from 1 April 2015.

The requirement to renew a personal licence was removed from the Licensing Act 2003 by the Deregulation Act 2015. Personal licences issued before the 2015 Act have expiry dates, these licences will remain valid and the expiry dates will longer have an effect.

Requirements for a new application

Guidance Leaflet

Applicants must:

  • be over age 18 years
  • hold an accredited Personal Licensing Qualification (see links to providers at the bottom of this page)
  • provide a criminal conviction certificate or a criminal record certificate or the results of a subject access search of the police national computer by the National Intelligence Service.  In all cases the certificate or search results must be within 1 calendar month of date of issue when submitted to the Licensing Team
  • complete an Application Form.
  • complete a Declaration relating to Convictions Form of relevant offences or foreign offences.
  • provide two passport-sized photographs. One photograph must be endorsed on the reverse as a 'true likeness' of the named applicant. The photograph can be endorsed by a solicitor, a person of standing in the community or an individual with a professional qualification.
  • pay the application fee of £37.00 when submitting the application

With effect from 6th April 2017, immigration safeguards have been introduced to the licensing regime. The objective is to better prevent illegal working in these sectors of the economy. The new provisions mean that licensing authorities are prohibited from issuing premises and personal licences to anyone who is illegally present in the UK or not permitted to carry out work in a licensable activity. Guidance as to the necessary proof of right to work in the UK that must be submitted with any application can be found contained within the application forms themselves.

 Accredited Qualifications under the Licensing Act 2003

Personal Licence Qualification Course Providers

A significant number of Course Providers can be found online, however a few are provided below who have acted on behalf of a number of our customers:


Criminal Records Disclosure / Police National Computer Check

This must be submitted with your application and can be in either of the following forms:

  • If you need a basic disclosure check for a Personal Licence in England and Wales, you should apply to the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS), which now provides the service for England and Wales.
  • A basic disclosure which can be obtained online to by clicking on the following link DBS Basic Check.


  • The results of a subject access search under the Data Protection Act 1998 of the Police National Computer (PNC).  This can be requested from

            Subject Access Request Bureau (AJ)
            Nottinghamshire Police Headquarters
            Sherwood Lodge
            NG5 8PP

In both cases the certificate or search results must be within one calendar month of date of issue when submitted with your personal licence application.

Once you have completed the form it should be posted to the Licensing Team at:

Licensing Team
Ashfield District Council
Urban Road
NG17 8DA
Please ensure your application includes the following:
  • Completed application form (including declaration relating to convictions of relevant offences or foreign offences)
  • Two passport photographs (one of which must be endorsed)
  • A Licensing qualification
  • Criminality check either Police PNC document or a basic CRB disclosure
  • The fee of £37.00

Change of Name/Address

You need to write to the Licensing Team using the Application Form giving details of your new Name/address and enclose your current licence (both the paper copy and the photo card) and pay the fee of £10.50.

The Licensing Team will then issue you with a new licence.

Licence lost or stolen

You need to write to the Licensing Team stating when you became aware that the licence had been lost or stolen and pay the fee of £10.50.  Where the licence has been stolen you should also provide the crime reference number as issued by the police.

The Licensing Team will then issue you with a new licence.

Please contact the Licensing Team if you have any further questions. 

If you have any queries please do not hesitate in contacting a member of the Licensing Team.