Home Page

Charitable House to House Collections

A licence is required to undertake a 'house to house' collection, under the House to House Collections Act 1939.

A house to House collection is when a Charity or organisation acting on behalf of a Charity visits peoples homes, door to door (house to house) or from one public house to another, in order to collect money or pledges of money for a specified Charity.

Whereas street collection permits are normally issued to cover a period of one or two days, a house to house collection permit can be granted for any period up to one year.

Some of the larger well-known charities such as Christian Aid, Help the Aged, etc., have a Charity Commission exemption from having to apply for a permit, but by and large most of the smaller and particularly local groups and organisations need a permit before they can collect money (or articles which they intend to sell later), from door to door.

How to apply

Application forms must be completed and received by the Licensing Section of the Council at least 28 days before the planned house to house collection.

To apply for a house to house collection Licence you must complete an Application Form and send it with a copy of the latest charity accounts and charity information to the Council offices. When the collection has been completed, you must submit a Returns Form to the council notifying us of the result of your collection.

There is no charge to make your application.

Application forms can be obtained by selecting the link below:

Select to download Application Form

Select to download a Returns Form



Online Application

Apply to run a charitable collection

Notify us of the result of a charitable collection

 Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance.


Will Tacit Consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from Ashfield District Council by the end of the target completion period.

Trade Associations


Money for Travel

You will not usually be allowed to take money from the collection for travel to and from the place you are collecting in. So please do not put travel expenses on the application form.


If you do not belong to the group you want to collect for, you must send in a letter from the group with your application form. This letter must say that they agree to you collecting for them.

What happens next?

The Council aim to assess your application and contact you with a decision, in writing, within 7 working days.

Within one month after the collection, you are required to complete and return the 'Form of Statement' (we will send this to you with the permit). It has to be signed by an accountant and you will have to list the names of the people who collected for you and how much was collected.

One of the key grounds for refusal would be where the total amount likely to be applied for charitable purposes as a result of the collections, is inadequate in proportion to the value of the proceeds likely to be received. So, for instance, where an applicant intends to claim a fair proportion of the proceeds of the collection for expenses, a permit could be refused. There is no statutory guidance to local authorities on what would be a reasonable amount for expenses.

We look forward to receiving your application and if you have any difficulty with any of the forms or have any questions, please contact us.

Can I appeal?

Unlike street collection permit applications, there is a statutory right of appeal against the refusal to grant a house to house collection permit. In this case, the right of appeal is to the Secretary of State, and the grounds for refusal are set out in the act itself.

Please contact us if you require any further information.

It is recommended that you read the full provisions of this Act before registering. Copies of the Act can be obtained from any of Her Majesty's Stationery Offices (HMSO) or online. Alternatively, a copy of the Act can be viewed at all Council offices. If you require further assistance to understand the requirements of the Act please contact us.