Home Page

Universal Credit

This page tells you about universal credit (UC), which is a new benefit administered by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) through a local Jobcentre Plus. The next phase of universal credit has been fully introduced in Ashfield. This means that Ashfield is now a “UC Full Service” area therefore any working age claimant who would like to make a new claim for help with their income and to help pay their rent must now apply for Universal Credit. Housing Benefit is no longer available for most new working age claimants.

Ashfield District Council has no involvement in the administration of universal credit. This includes assessments, payments, enquiries and appeals. However, we can help you to claim.





For further information, contact details and how to apply for UC go to - GOV.UK - Universal Credit

A Universal Credit guidance booklet can be found at - Universal Credit - Guidance Booklet

About Universal Credit

Universal credit is a new benefit that replaces six existing benefits:

  • income support
  • jobseeker’s allowance
  • employment and support allowance
  • working tax credit
  • child tax credit
  • housing benefit


The aim of UC is to simplify the benefits system and help ensure people are better off in work.

Universal credit is paid as a single monthly payment, directly into your bank account, similar to a wage.

It also includes an amount for your housing costs (rent payment). You are responsible for paying rent to your landlord.

To apply you must:

  • be under pension credit age – you can check this online at gov.uk/state-pension-age
  • have an email address
  • have a bank account
  • have a contact number, preferably a mobile number

You must apply for universal credit online

To understand UC and what information you will need to make a claim go to - Understanding Universal Credit - DWP website

How do I apply?

After Wednesday 17th October (Bulwell Jobcentre area) and Wednesday 21st November (Ashfield Jobcentre area), if you need to make a new claim for one of the six benefits listed above, or have had a significant change to your circumstances that requires a change to these benefits, you will need to claim UC instead.

Applicants must be of working age and can be single, a couples, or families with less than three children who are seeking work or training for employment. If you have three or more children you may be able to claim other benefits (like income support and housing benefit) until January 2019.

Universal Credit
Frequently asked questions