The Local Code of Corporate Governance sets out the Council’s governance arrangements and is based on the guidance “Delivering Good Governance in Local Government” published by CIPFA (the Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy) and SOLACE (the Society of Local Authority Chief Executives) in 2016.
The CIPFA/SOLACE guidance identifies seven core principles and various sub principles; the Local Code of Corporate Governance is based on these seven core principles.
The seven principles are:
- Behaving with integrity, demonstrating strong commitment to ethical values and respecting the rule of law
- Ensuring openness and comprehensive stakeholder engagement
- Defining outcomes in terms of sustainable economic, social and environmental benefits
- Determining the interventions necessary to optimise the achievement of the intended outcomes
- Developing the Council’s capacity, including the capability of its leadership and the individuals within it
- Managing risks and performance through robust internal control and strong public financial management
- Implementing good practices in transparency, reporting and audit to deliver effective accountability