Home Page

Legal Stuff

The Shared Legal Service

Ashfield and Mansfield District Council now share a legal service.  The Shared Legal Service was implemented on 1 November 2012 and is based at the Ashfield District Council Offices.  Legal Services sits within the Governance Directorate at Ashfield District Council and is a support service for the entire Council.

Legal Advice:

Legal services provide advice and assistance to the Council's officers, the Leader of the Council and Elected Members. It cannot, however provide legal advice to members of the public.  If you require independent legal advice you can contact:

  1. The Citizens Advice Bureau;
  2. The Law Centre;
  3.  A local Firm of Solicitors

 Legal Obligations:

Ashfield District Council has a legal obligation to make certain information available to the public. Please browse the following links to find out what information we hold and how you can access it.

The Data Protection Act 2018 [DPA] gives you access to your own personal information held by the Council. More information about DPA can be found by clicking this link

The Environmental Information Regulations 2004 [EIR] gives you access to environmental information about the air, water, soil or land and factors affecting them, such as noise, energy, radiation or waste held by the Council.  More information about EIR can be found by clicking this link.

The Freedom of Information Act 2000 [FOI] gives you access to other information, which is held by the Council.  More information about FOI can be found by clicking this link

The Council already proactively makes information available to the public through its Publication Scheme. Before making a request, please visit our Publication Scheme pages to see whether the information you require is already available on our website.

Re-Using Information held by the Council - Most of the information released by the Council will be subject to copyright protection. You are free to use any information supplied for your own use, including for non-commercial research purposes. The information may also be used for the purposes of news reporting. However, any other type of re-use, for example, by publishing the information, using it for commercial purposes or issuing copies to the public will require the permission of the Council.  More information about re-using information can be found by clicking this link