Home Page

Paying your Rent


There are many ways in which you can pay your rent or service charge. Please see the rent payment options page for details.
Please note you cannot pay your rent by Cash or Cheque.
If rent is not paid we cannot deliver the services you would expect us to provide. For example, if we don’t collect rent we can’t afford to pay for improvements to your home or any additional support services.

Rent Payment Options

Pay the easy way, by Direct Debit
The easiest way to pay is by Direct Debit. If you don’t have a bank account or access to a Direct Debit facility we can help you set up one.
The list below shows you how you can pay your rent:-

For more information, please contact your Housing Management Advisor on HERE.

Problems paying your rent?

If you are an Ashfield District Council tenant, you need to make sure you don’t fall behind with your rent payments, otherwise you could lose your home.
We are here to help so if you can’t pay your rent, please contact us straight away. If you are on a low income or benefits, you may be able to get some or all of your rent paid for you.
Please call us on Tel – 01623 608999 for advice or to make an arrangement to pay your rent.

Rent Calendar

To find a copy of the Rent Calendar please click here.

Dealing with debt

Ashfield District Council has a Money Management Advisor who can provide money management advice, budgeting support and make referrals to other agencies.
If you owe money to other people or are struggling with your finances, please call us on Tel:  01623 608999.
Citizens Advice Bureau can also provide help and advice on a number of topics such as:

  • Debt & Money Advice
  • Rights at Work
  • Benefits Advice
  • Consumer Helpline
  • Family Related Issues
  • Housing & Rent Arrears
  • Legal System and Civil Rights

Further information can be found at: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk

The following external agencies may also be able to offer you advice in relation to debt:

National Debt Line – 0808 808 4000
Free impartial debt advice by telephone, email or web chat

Step Change Debt Charity - 0800 138 1111
Free impartial advice by telephone, email or web chat 

Payplan – 0800 280 2816
Free impartial advice by telephone and email

Debt Advice Foundation - 0800 043 4050
Free impartial Advice by telephone

Help with paying your rent

Housing Benefit
If you are finding it difficult to pay your rent you may be entitled to Housing Benefit.
Alternatively you can contact our Revenues and Benefits section direct on 01623 450000. 
There are a number of benefits calculators available on the internet.

The link below is the Government website - from here you will be able to get access to several benefits calculators where you will be able to calculate whether you may be eligible for Housing benefit.

Discretionary Housing Payment

If you are affected by the bedroom tax or benefit cap you may be entitled to apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment

Other Social Benefits

Many of the social benefits are to be included within Universal Credit in future, but there is a wide range of disability-related financial support, including benefits, tax credits, payments, grants and concessions that can also be claimed.
The main disability and sickness benefits in addition to any statutory state benefits are:

  • Personal Independence Payment: Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a tax-free benefit for people aged 16 to 64 to help with the extra costs caused by long term ill-health or a disability.
  • Attendance Allowance: Attendance Allowance is a tax-free benefit for people aged 65 or over who have a disability and need someone to help look after them.
  • Disability Living Allowance: Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children may help with the extra costs of looking after a child who:
    • is under 16
    • has difficulties walking or needs more looking after than a child of the same age who doesn’t have a disability.

For further information go to https://www.gov.uk

Money Management Advice

Are you an Ashfield District Council Tenant? Do you need budgeting advice and help with applying for various benefits? If so, our Money Management Advisor can assist you with money management, welfare and benefits advice. To find out more please click here.