Home Page

Tenancy FAQ

What can I do about my neighbours who are causing anti-social behaviour?

The Tenancy Services team deals with low level anti-social behaviour and the Community Safety Team deal with serious anti-social behaviour.
If you are experiencing low level anti-social behaviour, please contact your Housing Management Advisor on Tel: 01623 608999 to report this.
However, if you are experiencing high level anti-social behaviour such as criminal activity please contact the Community Safety Team on Tel - 01623 457369  or on Tel - 0800 1838484 between 9-5pm).
For more information about the Community Safety Team
For emergency issues please call the Police on 999.

Can I have a pet?

If you live in a house or bungalow, you have our consent to keep the following animals without our written permission:

• One domestic dog; and/or
• One domestic cat; and/or
• One domestic caged bird; and/or
• Fish; and /or
• Two small caged pets for example, gerbil, hamster or rabbit.

No other type of pet/animal may be kept without our prior written permission which will not be unreasonably withheld or delayed.

If you live in a house or bungalow and wish to keep more than one pet (from list above) you must obtain our prior written permission.

If you live in a flat or in sheltered accommodation you or anyone living with you may not keep a pet without our prior written permission. We will not unreasonably withhold permission but factors that will be considered will include the type of property you live in and the type of pet you wish to keep.

You are responsible for the control of any pets/animal(s) which belong to you or anyone living with you. Permission to keep pets may be withdrawn at our discretion if we consider that the pet is causing a nuisance, and/or damaging the property.

I have a problem with mice in my house, how can I get rid of them?

Visit our Pest Control pages

Can I run a business from my home?

You must obtain our prior written permission before setting up any business from your home and your request will be considered by Ashfield District Council and you will be notified in writing of our decision. 
If permission is granted it will be subject to compliance with following conditions:

  • You are not allowed to advertise the business around the property
  • You are not allowed to have deliveries between 6pm and 8am.
  • You must be respectful of your neighbours
  • Should we receive any complaints regarding your business or if this causes a nuisance to the neighbourhood then we may retract this permission.
  • You must be registered with any appropriate bodies

How do I report an abandoned property?

In some cases, tenants leave their properties without notifying us and therefore we may be unaware of empty properties. Empty properties are likely to be subject to vandalism or anti-social behaviour. We rely on neighbours and members of the public to report abandoned properties to us.
It is important that if you have a suspicion about a property being abandoned you contact us as soon as possible.
To report an abandoned property please contact us